If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #101157  by porsche060

I'm already into the process of applying but curious what people are thinking.. Depending on who the new AG is, will there be more reciprocity, less/more challenges to ccws, etc..
 #101158  by Boots

porsche060 wrote:I'm already into the process of applying but curious what people are thinking.. Depending on who the new AG is, will there be more reciprocity, less/more challenges to ccws, etc..
I'm thinking it depends on who the new AG is.

:troll:
 #101249  by California_Exile

porsche060 wrote:I'm already into the process of applying but curious what people are thinking.. Depending on who the new AG is, will there be more reciprocity, less/more challenges to ccws, etc..
I've posted on this before, but here's my take: The Democratic candidate, Lt. Gov. Matt Denn, is your standard issue gun-grabber, and he's tight with the ACLU crowd. He is also a time-serving hack who needs a political job while he seeks higher office, and that is perhaps the nicest thing I can say about him personally. The best you can expect from him is lack of interest and resulting status quo, plus probably somewhat worse in terms of CCW reciprocity (VA has gone away, and the latest trend, pioneered by Kathleen Kane up in PA, is to allow reciprocity only for permits issued by the holder's state of residence; so long, carrying in DE on an AZ or UT or FL permit if you live in PA, MD or NJ). Denn and Beau Biden were also public supporters of Markell's flavor-of-the-month attempt last year to push gun control, that brought us "universal background checks" (ptooey).

The GOP candidate, Ted Kittila, is a heck of a lot closer to one of us, and I would expect positive changes around the margins from him. He's told me personally that both reciprocity and reducing obstacles to CCDW licensing are on his radar. He's also told me that he's spent time discussing gun policy issues with John Sigler. My experience has been that people who talk to John Sigler, as opposed to writing him off as an extremist nutcase, are generally pretty sane on gun issues.

I will also say that Ted Kittila is a more decent human being than Matt Denn, and that Ted Kittila has a life that doesn't revolve around getting elected to office.
 #101250  by Gotarheels03

I would be happy if Denn is no more of an anti than Biden Jr. has been so far. In this state Kittila doesn't have much of a chance of actually getting elected.

I'm more worried about them making the DE CCDW process even more onerous Think MD, IL, more $$$ etc., training course for renewals etc. than I am about reciprocity.
 #101251  by California_Exile

Gotarheels03 wrote:In this state Kittila doesn't have much of a chance of actually getting elected.
Do you mean because of the Democrats' voter registration advantage, or something else? I mean, it's odd. Matt Denn isn't exactly an impressive candidate, and he only filed for the office -- to leave a safe job as Lt. Gov., if he wins -- when Beau Biden decided not to run again. It's an open office in a Presidential / gubernatorial off-year, and Biden's immediate elected predecessor was a Republican. Ted Kittila isn't exactly the world's most dynamic candidate either, but he's not a gaffe machine or a firebrand either.

(BTW, am I remembering right that you're in the legal business in Wilmington as well?)
 #101257  by California_Exile

Dugan wrote:Why does it seem that someone with common sense standards is never allowed on ballots...
If "common sense standards" means "doing what an Attorney General can do within the letter of the law of Delaware to promote RKBA issues," then I think Kittila is showing a lot of common sense. If it means "deciding that the gun control regime is unconstitutional and refusing to enforce it," then that's the end of the pretense that we have rule of law, instead of arbitrary administrative anarcho-tyranny, in this country. (And don't get me started about Eric :censored: Holder or about immi- :banghead: -gration.)
 #101297  by Dugan

California_Exile wrote:
Dugan wrote:Why does it seem that someone with common sense standards is never allowed on ballots...
If "common sense standards" means "doing what an Attorney General can do within the letter of the law of Delaware to promote RKBA issues," then I think Kittila is showing a lot of common sense. If it means "deciding that the gun control regime is unconstitutional and refusing to enforce it," then that's the end of the pretense that we have rule of law, instead of arbitrary administrative anarcho-tyranny, in this country. (And don't get me started about Eric :censored: Holder or about immi- :banghead: -gration.)
Id say both haha
 #101349  by California_Exile

Delaware Law Weekly, one of the legal trade rags, had a piece today about the AG race. Fairly transparent Denn puff piece, headlined with a big smiling picture of our dear Lt. Gov. (which ought to creep out any normal person), and containing the not-very-subtle insinuation that Kittila is soft on crime, because Kittila declined to agree that the big problem is judges sentencing violent offenders too leniently. Kittila said instead that the AG's office isn't pushing hard enough for tough sentences, and IMHO that's probably closer to right; the judges do give a lot of weight to the AG's positions on sentencing, and if the judges are under-sentencing people, it's probably not because the judges are a bunch of squishes, it's more likely because the AGs are either making easy plea deals or not pushing hard enough for long sentences.

I mention this article here because the DLW piece describes Denn's Five Year Plan, oh sorry, I mean his "multiprong plan to crack down on violent crime." The prongs include, and I quote from DLW, "discussions between judges and law enforcement officials ... more cooperation among multiple law enforcement agencies working in high-crime areas; aggressive prosecution of the illegal sale, possession or use of guns; working with probation officers to increase scrutiny of released offenders living in high-crime areas; bolstering grassroots community organizations in areas with higher crime rates; and improving dialogue between the Attorney General's Office and Delaware residents.

Again, this is cynicism about my profession talking, but that largely sounds like a lot of empty blather, with a side order of spreading more tax dollars around to community organizers. But that point about illegal sale, possession or use of guns kind of jumps out. (Kittila didn't say anything about guns, at least as far as the article reveals.) Kinda doubt ol' Captain ACLU is talking about Project Exile.
 #101355  by Owen

Thanks for the analysis of the two!
California_Exile wrote:Kinda doubt ol' Captain ACLU is talking about Project Exile.[emphasis added]
And ^ this FTW!

Project Exile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile