If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #106187  by EndSupremacy

I was talking to a New Castle city cop last night while open carrying. He wanted to know why I didn't have my ccdw permit. I told him, one of the main reasons why is the requirement to publish your info in the paper. He said that he understands my reason, but that he thinks that may be an outdated requirement. He wasn't sure, being that he's a Leo and doesn't have to go through that process to cc. Any thoughts on this? Did Delaware change this requirement, and people don't know about it?
 #106188  by California_Exile

The requirement is still in the statute and still being enforced.

It's outdated in the sense that it's insane to put a requirement like that on people in the era of atomization and Google, even if it maybe kinda sorta arguably if you squint made sense when it was enacted in 1911.
 #106198  by EndSupremacy

California_Exile wrote:The requirement is still in the statute and still being enforced.

It's outdated in the sense that it's insane to put a requirement like that on people in the era of atomization and Google, even if it maybe kinda sorta arguably if you squint made sense when it was enacted in 1911.
Ok, thanks. I figured it was still a requirement. I think I'll just do it and get it over with.
 #106199  by 2xTony

Because of where i live i was able to use the newark post rather than the news journal. They did also put it on their website but it only ran and stayed on their website for one day and was removed. And dont be suprised when you get a ton of flyers in the mail from guys who run ccw classes.
 #106205  by astro_wanabe

What surprises me is that we still allow the Prothonotary get away with making applicants pay for and schedule the newspaper notice. Delaware code states:
§ 1441(b) The Prothonotary of the county in which any applicant for a license files the same shall cause notice of every such application to be published once, at least 10 days before the next term of the Superior Court. The publication shall be made in a newspaper of general circulation published in the county. In making such publication it shall be sufficient for the Prothonotary to do the same as a list in alphabetical form stating therein simply the name and residence of each applicant respectively.
This section comes AFTER subsection (a) which lists the requirements of the applicant, specifically states "The Prothonotary" shall cause the notice to be published, and then even gives an example of an acceptable manner for the Prothonotary to accomplish this. So why are applicants having to do this at all? What authority does the Prothonotary have for shirking this codified responsibility of their office?
 #106208  by Owen

That's very interesting Astro. A class action lawsuit by all previous filers for their ad money back might fix this.

Some lawyers look for nice fat paydays like this. I wonder why none have taken it up. I just got an email how they are trying to settle with linked-in for a spam email case and the legal fees they are seeking to recover from linked-in are over 3 mil. I'm sure the fees for this would pay a nice chunk. But does "you can't fight city hall" come in to play?

EDIT: If I file without the ad can I get a pro-bono lawyer who will help fight that it's their responsibility? :troll:
 #107824  by josephjanes

Spoke with the AG's Investigator recently. You can petition the Judge for waiver to putting your address in newspaper ( but ad still required), e.g. for female with Protection From Abuse (PFA) order against crazy ex-boyfriend, or any other good reason.
Last edited by josephjanes on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #107826  by GatorDude

Payment of Cost: The Prothonotary is causing it to be published, because your application will not be processed unless and until the publication affidavit is filed. The statute does not require the Prothonotary to pay for it.

Outdated Requirement: While I do not think it should be a requirement, I don't think it is necessarily outdated. I am aware of at least one instance where the notice resulted in multiple letters to the Court about the applicant. Suffice it to say, they weren't very supportive. Ultimately, a hearing was held and testimony was heard. I heard it was quite interesting. The applicant was denied a permit. The purpose of the publication is essentially to elicit any such responses. Of course, most do not result in any communications to the Court.