If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #965  by bms429

I have an interesting situation here. I have started CC'ing since I can now at work. Thing is, I have class 2nights a week and am not allowed weapons on campus. I have asked the dean of students to make an exception for me to leave the weapon in my car during class. I have a feeling that she will not make the exception. I know that property rights allow them to set this rule. Is there anything I can do? Wynder? I think you are in similar situation. What do you do with yours while at work? In reality I should have not said anything and just left the weapon in my car, secured of course. This is what happens when you try to do things the right way...and they wonder why gun control doesn't work. :poed: :poed: :poed:
 #970  by Wynder

You can park off-street if it's available and if it's on a public road.

Outside of that, they can make up their own policy... Read the student handbook and see if it prohibits carrying on their property or just 'inside of the college'. If you're caught, though, they'd be well within their right to expel you from the school.

I, sadly, leave my weapon at home when I go to work. But I have brought it in and left it in the car when me and my co-worker (a retired NCCO officer) went to the range for our lunch break.
 #978  by bms429

My suspicions were right and the dean bascially told me that because its not job required I am not allowed to even leave it in my car on campus. I have 2 options, dont carry on school days or ignore the school. i only have 7 weeks left till im done. I do plan on taking this up a little higher and making some rukus.

speaking on option 2, what is the penalty legally for such an offense. I dont want to risk losing my CCDW that I worked so hard to get.
 #982  by myopicvisionary

That close to the end? Don't blow it now!
 #983  by Wynder

bms429 wrote:My suspicions were right and the dean bascially told me that because its not job required I am not allowed to even leave it in my car on campus. I have 2 options, dont carry on school days or ignore the school. i only have 7 weeks left till im done. I do plan on taking this up a little higher and making some rukus.

speaking on option 2, what is the penalty legally for such an offense. I dont want to risk losing my CCDW that I worked so hard to get.
There is no legal penalty -- it's strictly administrative. What school is this, btw?
 #984  by bms429

its GBC in pike creek. i would have thought there would be a legal penalty, im sure they would try to. oh well. thanks for the info wynder. have a good rainy day.
 #985  by Wynder

They had a shooting there late last year -- guy actually had a gun in his dorm, if I recall. They're going to be a tough one to crack.
 #986  by bms429

Wynder wrote:They had a shooting there late last year -- guy actually had a gun in his dorm, if I recall. They're going to be a tough one to crack.

Yea, its pretty bad. VT, then we had one and then state had one. At least no one died at GBC. It will be a very tough thing to do at GBC as a lot of the populace is foreign students and the dean of students is foreign as well. English maybe. Also, the president of the college is foreign. I swear that guy is useless. I hear from people that work there that he only comes to work on Fridays to sign things and then goes back home. Its like he is very shy, kinda weird for the president of a college, especially since he makes like 200k+.

Oh well, atleast there are only 7 more weeks left and then I am completly done with school for a very looong time.
 #987  by Wynder

Be glad that you don't work at one. :)

The nice thing is, though, there's a written policy that allows me to apply for exemption; granted, they can still refuse it, but it's nice that they have that consideration codified.
 #988  by bms429

I used to work for the school when i was in my BS program there.

This is my final reply to her.

Dean Wimberly,

Thank you for taking the time to review my request. I was hoping for a more flexible answer but this was the response I expected. I do ask that the school consider loosening this restriction on licensed individuals in the future. I hope that no incident ever happens on campus again and that if ones does your faith in uniformed officers pays off in the form of little or no causalities. To be cliche I quote "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away". Once again, thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,