If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #1938  by dave_in_delaware

OK, I thought it would be helpful to anyone who wants to begin the process of obtaining their CCDW License if there was a step-by-step list of steps/instructions to follow (in order), and a timeline (or time frame) that the steps need to be completed.

I know, at least for me, that money is sometimes difficult to come by on an exact date, so budgeting and knowing how much and when would help a lot. And I'd hate to not be able to get a license because one requirement "expired" or wasn't done at the right time....

Here's my version of a FAQ regarding the CCDW License and procedure, which hopefully will help others who are about to begin this process. For those of you who have done this, if you could provide any answers and input, it would be greatly appreciated! Especially any "tips" or "unknown secrets" that people should be aware of....

Where is the Prothonotary office?

Must I get an application from them in person?

What must be done first? Second? Is there a set order to do things? Does one step need to be finished before starting another?

How long do I have, once I begin the process, to get everything taken care of?

What's the total cost for obtaining a CCDW License?

Does anything (application, questionnaires, fingerprinting, training course, etc) have an "expiration date"?

Which newspaper must I use for my notice?

Where can I get fingerprinted? How long does it take? Do I need an appointment?

Delaware is a "May Issue" State: Do I need to have a dangerous job or live in a bad neighborhood to justify to the judge why I need/want a CCDW License?

What should/can I do if I'm denied a License?

Will I be personally interviewed by someone to determine my mental/emotional stability?

Well, that's all I can think of right now....

I think the most important thing to get out of all of this is to know exactly when to do what, and how long someone has to get it done (and how much it'll cost).

Thanks for playing!
 #1939  by bms429

regarding prothonotary in NCC. Make sure you make note that it is the judgments office, not the other one on the upper floor. I made that mistake. Not that it takes a lot of time, but it makes ya feel stupid. haha.
 #1940  by Wynder

Where is the Prothonotary office?
In New Castle County, around King and 6th street in the Courthouse. Go through the metal detectors (no cell phones allowed!) and hang a left.
Must I get an application from them in person?
Newp! The forms are available online -- you can find links to them here: http://www.deloc.org/deloc/ccdw.php
What must be done first? Second? Is there a set order to do things? Does one step need to be finished before starting another?
With a couple of things, yes. Before you do anything, you can get your passport photos, reference letters. You must run your newspaper ad at least 10 days before you apply, so do this as soon as possible.

However, you must submit your application and other paperwork no more than 30 days after you're fingerprinted. It takes 2-6 weeks to get an appointment to be fingerprinted, so this is where the most date confusion comes into place. Run your ad as soon as possible and schedule your fingerprinting to leave you enough time to get all of your reference letters together.
How long do I have, once I begin the process, to get everything taken care of?
Once you submit your newspaper ad, give it a few days to add and another week to get the letter/affidavit from them. Give yourself 2-6 weeks for your fingerprint appointment. The safety course (which can be taken after you're approved) is generally split up into as many as 4 evening courses.
What's the total cost for obtaining a CCDW License?
The firearms safety course is the most expensive part of the process with courses running anywhere from $225 to $275.

The other incidental costs will run about $175.
Code: Select all
Does anything (application, questionnaires, fingerprinting, training course, etc) have an "expiration date"?
Just the fingerprints -- they're good for 30 days. Once you've had them taken you MUST apply withing 30 days.
Which newspaper must I use for my notice?
A newspaper in your ZIP that carries at least 35% of the circulation.
Where can I get fingerprinted? How long does it take? Do I need an appointment?
The Prothonotary instructions have a number to call to make an appointment -- Troop 2 in Bear does them, as well as other locations. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to get fingerprinted.
Delaware is a "May Issue" State: Do I need to have a dangerous job or live in a bad neighborhood to justify to the judge why I need/want a CCDW License?
No, but your must furnish a sufficient reason... something more than "For self-defense", but less than a story.
What should/can I do if I'm denied a License?
You'll receive a letter and have a period of time to go to the courthouse to challenge the denial. There are attorneys who handle denials.
Will I be personally interviewed by someone to determine my mental/emotional stability?
No. Your give character references, the State Police criminal check and the Delaware DoJ/AG background investigation can influence the Judge's decision. Statutorily, if you were committed to an mental institution against your will disqualifies you unless you have a letter certifying your health, though it probably won't play well with the judge, regardless.