If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #97610  by flaminyon

I couldn't erase the thread, so I just erased my posts.
Last edited by flaminyon on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #97612  by Surface Dragon

Excellent choice flaminyon.

As you know I personally trust the 9mm Glock 19. I carry open and often if not always.

I trust Federal Hydra Shok 135gr ammo and 147gr ammo of the same type in my spare magazines.

I would also trust Hornady 9mm or 9mm+p135gr Flexlock Critical Duty ammo as well but it is not what I carry at this point in time.

I personally do not trust reloaded ammo for personal defense.

Would you rather trust your life to something made by a mad scientist who uses found/recycled/possibly defective materials or something made by a group of professionals that employ actual scientists who utilize their many years of research and development and only the finest brand new materials?

There are many reasons why I trust and enjoy the 9mm.

Cost, capacity, manageable recoil, availability, its proven/trusted/carried my millions, and because it just feels right.
 #97613  by WVisHome

Surface Dragon wrote:I personally do not trust reloaded ammo for personal defense.

Would you rather trust your life to something made by a mad scientist who uses found/recycled/possibly defective materials or something made by a group of professionals that employ actual scientists who utilize their many years of research and development and only the finest brand new materials?

Do you honestly believe reloaders are "mad scientists"?
 #97614  by Surface Dragon

Mad Scientist -
A scientist who invents crazy things, usually things that get beyond his scope of control, and may cause significant damage. He also may have a sick mind, or warped sense of humor.

Sometimes they are very much like mad scientists.

I am not trying to make fun of reloaders, I actually have a deep respect for their art and dedication.

I didn't go so far as to compare reloaded ammo to leftover food or a bar of soap made out of many used bars of soap because I respect the passion that goes into reloading.
 #97625  by harr2969

I would think a better analogy would be an amateur racing mechanic vs a pro. The passionate amateur may know nearly as much or more than a pro in some areas, but the pro generally has better consistency at the race track and better tools.
 #97627  by Sodbuster

First, reloaded ammo.
From a reliability standpoint, I would have no problem carrying a properly handloaded cartridge that has been subjected to my same personal test as factory ammo. That being a minimum of 100 rounds of that load fired flawlessly and each actual carry round chambered in the field-stripped barrel.
However, from a liability standpoint, I will not carry handloaded ammo. This is because, after a self defense shooting, I don't want any chance of an overeager prosecutor making claims of "homemade, super deadly ammo".

Second, cartridge choice.
With the modern self-defense ammo out today, in calibers 9mm/.38spl. and larger, there is probably not a significant difference in stopping ability. Carry what you are most comfortable with.
 #97628  by WVisHome

Surface Dragon wrote:Mad Scientist -
A scientist who invents crazy things, usually things that get beyond his scope of control, and may cause significant damage. He also may have a sick mind, or warped sense of humor.

Sometimes they are very much like mad scientists.

I am not trying to make fun of reloaders, I actually have a deep respect for their art and dedication.

I didn't go so far as to compare reloaded ammo to leftover food or a bar of soap made out of many used bars of soap because I respect the passion that goes into reloading.
Do you know what powder, primer and charge are in your factory ammo? No.

I'm 100% certain of what goes into my loads. To me, it's more reasonable to trust your own loads than something you have no clue/control over.
 #97630  by harr2969

To me there are three primary pieces off the top of my head to consider - the effectiveness of the first shot, the ability to put more shots on target, and the following legal mess you're in if the target was an aggressor intent on your harm. For point #1, the 10mm may be an effective choice. For #2, I suspect it's far from the best choice. For #3, reloads are to be avoided. Separately, comfort is a big factor in self defense. If your defence is not comfortable, you won't have it on you. 10mm is a big size, the gun will correspondingly be larger, and perhaps less comfortable. Do you carry around your home, or do you have a gun easily accessible wherever you are at home? The first option is more likely if you have comfort.
 #97631  by Kuntryboy816

I personally love a good bar of Irishdovezestcaresspring during my early morning showers!!
 #97634  by schmenge

I have to weigh in on this topic. I've been reloading for about 35 years now. I estimate that I've loaded and fired around 10000 rounds now, mostly pistol of various calibers. As to reliability, I have NEVER had a failure to fire. None.

As to personal liability after a shooting (re: hot loads), that dog won't hunt. I load my rounds based on what shoots most accurately out of each of my guns. None of my loads are above mid range of the recommended loads in any of the reloading manuals. An over zealous DA would make a fool of himself trying to prove I was shooting hot loads. I don't even shoot the largest bullets available for each caliber, for the same reason I don't shoot the hottest loads.