If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #86028  by Kalash762

Hello all, I'm new to the forum!

I have had my CCDW for a little over two years now, so I am no stranger to carrying. Ruger SR9c in the warmer months, S&W M&P .45c in the colder months, both in Crossbreed IWB holsters.

However, I have never open carried before... but I would like to start. In the hotter months I think it would be more comfortable to OC and I want to OC anyway, it's my right.

So one question that has always bugged me:

I know that accidentally exposing your CCDWed weapon is a bad thing, but if OC is legal and I already have a CCDW permit... couldn't that just be considered 'accidental' OC? I have never had any issues with printing or accidentally exposing my handgun, but it's something I've always wondered.

On the other hand, if I am OCing and say my gun gets obscured by a long shirt, and then exposed again later... is this also bad?

One last question... would an IWB holster with a tucked in shirt and exposed gun be considered OC, or does the whole gun have to be exposed (half the barrel would be tucked into my pants)?

Sorry if those questions are a little stupid, but I'm here to learn haha. :lol:

Also, I am looking to purchase either a 1911 or a Glock 17 as my next pistol, and that will be my OC gun. Most likely it will be the Glock 17. Suggestions on good OC holsters are appreciated.
 #86032  by astro_wanabe

Since you have your CCDW it really doesn't matter how open / concealed your weapon is. Without the CCDW it would need to be completely out in plain view.

For OC holsters most use a OWB model with atleast level 2 retention (typically friction + one snap or button press). The extra retention is to help keep someone from walking up and just grabbing the gun from you - although situational awareness and weapon retention training are really key. Training / practicing to release the retention features during the draw from your holster is also important.
 #86033  by cslade454

Kalash762 wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the forum!

I know that accidentally exposing your CCDWed weapon is a bad thing,
OK but do you know why it is a bad thing? In some states like Florida it is illegal, but not in Delaware. In Delaware if you have a CCDW permit the main reason you would not want any to know you have a gun is because most cc holsters(like your crossbreed) have no retention to prevent anyone standing in line at Wawa behind you from just taking your gun.

If you are going to open carry get a holster like a Serpa. I would not open carry with a crossbreed. I did use my crossbreed last night to cc at a school concert though.
 #86134  by fieldman

My guess is that it could result in a MWAG call to police. A bystander sees something they obviously weren't meant to see. With the "speak up if you see something" dynamic of today, it's not likely they will just mind their business. The police show up, at least terry stop or detain and disarm you. They determine you are carrying concealed and probably lecture you about open/concealed. I dont think they will think its okay to ride some gray area in between. No, the accidental exposure is not illegal, but it is irresponsible. I also tend to wonder if upon renewal of the ccdw, that the incident might be something that could show up. Just my .02. YMMV.
 #86160  by Kalash762

fieldman wrote:My guess is that it could result in a MWAG call to police. A bystander sees something they obviously weren't meant to see. With the "speak up if you see something" dynamic of today, it's not likely they will just mind their business. The police show up, at least terry stop or detain and disarm you. They determine you are carrying concealed and probably lecture you about open/concealed. I dont think they will think its okay to ride some gray area in between. No, the accidental exposure is not illegal, but it is irresponsible. I also tend to wonder if upon renewal of the ccdw, that the incident might be something that could show up. Just my .02. YMMV.
I had a feeling something like that would happen. No worries, I'm extremely careful about making sure I don't accidentally expose my pistol while carrying concealed. Most of my shirts are a size bigger for this reason.

I will look into an appropriate holster for OC. Most likely I will be going with a Glock 17 (or maybe a 19) for OC. I've always wanted a full size Glock, so I might as well use it for OC.
 #94078  by jrock419

Bravo concealment makes top quality retension holsters....check them out bravoconcealment.com they have the best warranties and are top notch. i would recommed them to every one
Kalash762 wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the forum!

I have had my CCDW for a little over two years now, so I am no stranger to carrying. Ruger SR9c in the warmer months, S&W M&P .45c in the colder months, both in Crossbreed IWB holsters.

However, I have never open carried before... but I would like to start. In the hotter months I think it would be more comfortable to OC and I want to OC anyway, it's my right.

So one question that has always bugged me:

I know that accidentally exposing your CCDWed weapon is a bad thing, but if OC is legal and I already have a CCDW permit... couldn't that just be considered 'accidental' OC? I have never had any issues with printing or accidentally exposing my handgun, but it's something I've always wondered.

On the other hand, if I am OCing and say my gun gets obscured by a long shirt, and then exposed again later... is this also bad?

One last question... would an IWB holster with a tucked in shirt and exposed gun be considered OC, or does the whole gun have to be exposed (half the barrel would be tucked into my pants)?

Sorry if those questions are a little stupid, but I'm here to learn haha. :lol:

Also, I am looking to purchase either a 1911 or a Glock 17 as my next pistol, and that will be my OC gun. Most likely it will be the Glock 17. Suggestions on good OC holsters are appreciated.
 #94091  by TexasJay

Kalash762 wrote:
fieldman wrote:My guess is that it could result in a MWAG call to police. A bystander sees something they obviously weren't meant to see. With the "speak up if you see something" dynamic of today, it's not likely they will just mind their business. The police show up, at least terry stop or detain and disarm you. They determine you are carrying concealed and probably lecture you about open/concealed. I dont think they will think its okay to ride some gray area in between. No, the accidental exposure is not illegal, but it is irresponsible. I also tend to wonder if upon renewal of the ccdw, that the incident might be something that could show up. Just my .02. YMMV.
I had a feeling something like that would happen. No worries, I'm extremely careful about making sure I don't accidentally expose my pistol while carrying concealed. Most of my shirts are a size bigger for this reason.

I will look into an appropriate holster for OC. Most likely I will be going with a Glock 17 (or maybe a 19) for OC. I've always wanted a full size Glock, so I might as well use it for OC.
Just FYI, I'm going to be selling a G17 gen4 package (level 2 holster extra mags etc). PM me if interested.