If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #92577  by Pstalvey

In September I received my letter stating that my application was denied because of my driving record, which I admit is pretty extensive from my younger years (79 offenses in the past 23 years). I immediately contacted a lawyer who wanted $700 to file my appeal, and go with me to my hearing. Not wanting to add to my already $300+ to the cost of this process, I decided to give it a try on my own. I went in today, presented my case stating that I have no excuse for my past mistakes except for my youth. I pointed out to them that on my driving record that my last offense was 3 years ago and, that I've only had 3 in the past 10 years. I also stated other things such as my 2nd Amendment right being hindered, if I show such disrespect foe DE laws then I would've never applied for a permit, etc. The Lawyer from the DOJ stood up and said "If he really wants it this badly, I'll withdraw my position" The Judge agreed and withdrew his opposition, with the condition that I keep my driving record clean for 6 months and, complete a Defensive Driving Course. I'm sure the lawyer could've gotten my permit approved without the conditions but I'm ok with waiting 6 months and keeping $700 in my pocket.
So, if you've been denied don't give up. File for an appeal even if you cant afford a lawyer.
 #92580  by Boots

Congrats!

See if you can get into a Smith System defensive driving course. Many large corporations with fleets use Smith System for their fleet drivers.

http://www.smith-system.com/
 #92584  by MrCoolDale

Congratulations! I'm glad this went well for you.

It is nice to hear that this wasn't any type of anti-2A case, they were just checking that you were not that crazy kid from 10 years ago. Thankfully, when you gave them the run-down and put everything in the open, they agreed with your position and were willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I would like to caution anyone else on this matter. While this went well today, there is no guarantee it will the next time. I will still recommend the services of a good lawyer for cases such as these.
 #92595  by Bullpup

That's good to hear, congratulations! A driver safety course is a good idea anyway. Might lower your insurance rates, and makes you look good if involved in an accident.

Does anyone know, if you were to lose an appeal, could you apply again at some point in the future? Or would the denial be permanent?
 #92613  by spillanej

Bullpup wrote:That's good to hear, congratulations! A driver safety course is a good idea anyway. Might lower your insurance rates, and makes you look good if involved in an accident.

Does anyone know, if you were to lose an appeal, could you apply again at some point in the future? Or would the denial be permanent?
I was told you can appeal the appellate decision to the surpreme court of delaware, but the chance of that happening would be slim to none. Does anyone know if thats factual?
 #92620  by SigGirl

Great Job! Congratulations!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

I know we did our defensive driving course online and it does help with the Insurance at least. So it's not really a bad thing.
 #92650  by dave_in_delaware

Congratulations on your appeal victory.

I didn't have such luck with my appeal a few years ago. But then again, it wasn't my driving record that was the problem.