Login    
   
   
    Register FAQ  •  Search    

· Home ·   Forums ·  Who Are We? ·  What is Open Carry? ·  CCDW Process ·  FAQ ·  Contact ·  Terms ·

Fundraiser to Support Delaware Open Carry!


We've come to that time of the year when our server lease and domain name registrations are coming up for renewal. In the past, many of you have expressed your generosity in the form of donations in order to keep the site running - I'm asking for your support again this year.

Please visit our donation information page for more details and, if you enjoy this site, if you've ever attended our gatherings or, if this community has brought you some knowledge or entertainment, please give what you can to keep us going.

→ Donation Information Page ←


It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Dashboard open carry in danger in Wilmington?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 1176
Location: Bear
I sent the email below to attorney.general@state.de.us

Quote:
Hello,

I was recently made aware of a possible arrest in Wilmington for open carrying a loaded handgun in a vehicle where the handgun was in plain view on the vehicle dash in a dash mounted holster.

What is the lawful method to open carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in Delaware?

Regards,

Owen

_________________
"... I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind... Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." - 1785 August 19. (Jefferson to Peter Carr).


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dashboard open carry in danger in Wilmington?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 1176
Location: Bear
UPDATE: Turns out the person arrested had a "PFA" order against them and were not allowed to posses firearms.

So I put my dash holster back in place.

Sorry if I overreacted. :oops:

_________________
"... I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind... Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." - 1785 August 19. (Jefferson to Peter Carr).


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dashboard open carry in danger in Wilmington?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 pm
Posts: 1501
Location: Newark DE
Thanks for the clarification! I don't think you overreacted... if it had turned out to be other than what you found, it would set a very bad precedent for future problems with OC in Delaware. Glad it turned out different but that kind of sucks for the person w/ the PFA.

_________________
Hardwork spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all. -Sam Ewing


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dashboard open carry in danger in Wilmington?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 3161
Location: Newark, Delaware
I'm quite happy to hear that the situation was not as originally described.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dashboard open carry in danger in Wilmington?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 2055
Location: Newark, DE
Kuntryboy816 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification! I don't think you overreacted... if it had turned out to be other than what you found, it would set a very bad precedent for future problems with OC in Delaware. Glad it turned out different but that kind of sucks for the person w/ the PFA.


I disagree. They KNOW they are legally prohibited from having access to firearms. It's protection from abuse. The court obviously felt there was a danger or there would be a protection order in place. I don't feel badly for people who knowingly break the law especially one where abuse has been demonstrated in a court of law.

And before anyone defends "bogus" PFA, the circumstances of the PFA do. It change the fact that this person KNOWINGLY AND WILLFULLY broke the law.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Amy
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor--Basic Pistol, Refuse to be a Victim
Justice Firearms Training
DECCDW PALTCF DESO

Tea, glorious tea!
http://blackthornhoodooblends.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dashboard open carry in danger in Wilmington?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 pm
Posts: 1501
Location: Newark DE
Amy Blackthorn wrote:
Kuntryboy816 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification! I don't think you overreacted... if it had turned out to be other than what you found, it would set a very bad precedent for future problems with OC in Delaware. Glad it turned out different but that kind of sucks for the person w/ the PFA.


I disagree. They KNOW they are legally prohibited from having access to firearms. It's protection from abuse. The court obviously felt there was a danger or there would be a protection order in place. I don't feel badly for people who knowingly break the law especially one where abuse has been demonstrated in a court of law.

And before anyone defends "bogus" PFA, the circumstances of the PFA do. It change the fact that this person KNOWINGLY AND WILLFULLY broke the law.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you! What I meant was that it will suck for Mr. PFA that he's going to catch another charge due to his own stupidity... but yeah, I don't feel sorry for him one bit. The person is told that they are prohibited once the PFA is in place, so it's not like he didn't know.

_________________
Hardwork spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all. -Sam Ewing


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dashboard open carry in danger in Wilmington?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 2055
Location: Newark, DE
Kuntryboy816 wrote:

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you! What I meant was that it will suck for Mr. PFA that he's going to catch another charge due to his own stupidity... but yeah, I don't feel sorry for him one bit. The person is told that they are prohibited once the PFA is in place, so it's not like he didn't know.


Thanks for clarifying. [emoji175]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Amy
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor--Basic Pistol, Refuse to be a Victim
Justice Firearms Training
DECCDW PALTCF DESO

Tea, glorious tea!
http://blackthornhoodooblends.com/


 Profile  


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group