Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #809  by dave_in_delaware

It's a little vague if you asked me.
 #810  by Wynder

dave_in_delaware wrote:It's a little vague if you asked me.
Dunno... sounds pretty clear to me.

"Sign says you can't carry a firearm in here."

"Nope, says I can't USE it in here."
 #812  by dave_in_delaware

So, if you needed to USE it inside the mall in self-defense, would it be illegal then because the mall prohibited its use?

That just sounds stupid.

It boils down to the intent of the mall's owners and what they meant the sign to say...

:roll:
 #814  by Wynder

dave_in_delaware wrote:So, if you needed to USE it inside the mall in self-defense, would it be illegal then because the mall prohibited its use?
Signs have ZERO legal weight. Period. Amen. At most, they would ban you from the mall, which they can do for almost any reason anyway.
It boils down to the intent of the mall's owners and what they meant the sign to say...
Newp. Even if signs did have legal weight, it's what's exactly written that counts -- it's akin to terms of a usage agreement. (This would never happen, but...) If they took you to court and told a judge, "Well, your honor, the sign says, all bags are subject to search are at our discretion, what we INTENDED to say was we can look up the skirts of all of our female patrons."

Now, outside of the absurdity of that scenario, you would receive a quick summary judgment or dismissal.
 #829  by mustangdave

Went to the mall around 2pm today, entered the JCPenny doors and saw no signs there. But, of course, I wasn't looking that hard.
 #830  by myopicvisionary

The signs are at the exterior entrances to the mall itself.
 #883  by dave_in_delaware

Wynder wrote:Signs have ZERO legal weight. Period. Amen. At most, they would ban you from the mall, which they can do for almost any reason anyway.
I wouldn't go that far. There's a sign in the post office that talks about Federal Property and no guns. I think that sign has some legal weight, doesn't it? It's not like you can ignore that sign and get away w/ carrying.

Being banned from the Christiana Mall would be the same as it is with me now: I try to avoid that mall like the plague (too bad my bosses give me a gift card to there every Christmas though - or I'd NEVER go there anyway)...
 #884  by Wynder

In that case, the Post Office sign is informing you of a federal law, not their personal wishes.