Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #105262  by dave_in_delaware

In case anyone NOT from Delaware was interested in getting a Dover OC Permit, or was wondering if the Dover Chief of Police grants permits to non-residents, I just wanted to inform you that it IS possible, and he DOES. :D :D

I had mailed a "petition" letter to Chief Bernat back on May 22. I followed the general body of the letter similarly to those other "example" letters found on the DELOC forum. You can find my wording quoted below.

I received my Permit letter in the mail today (June 15). The letter was dated June 11, postmarked June 13. It's the same form letter that others have received.

Total wait time was a little over 3 weeks. I'm not sure if this is a standard time frame for out-of-state petitions, or if the Chief runs a background check, or needed to look up my LTCF info, or what. But it was worth the short wait.

I don't think I needed to have a PA LTCF, but I'm sure it helped.
[my address]
[my city, state, zip]

[today's date]

Chief Bernat
Dover Police Department
400 South Queen Street
Dover, DE 19904

Dear Chief Bernat,

I am petitioning you for a permit to openly carry my lawfully owned firearms within the city limits of Dover, as defined by the City of Dover Ordinances, Chapter 70, Section 2.

I was a Delaware resident for 15 years, 5 of which I open carried daily for self-defense. I have many friends who live in Delaware, some of which are south of Dover. Having a permit to open carry within the city limits would not only add peace-of-mind in my travels, but would enable me to actually travel through (and stop in) Dover instead of avoiding it. Such a permit would be much appreciated.

I have provided additional personal information below:

Full name: [full name]
Address: [full address]
DOB: [date of birth]
PA DL: [## ### ###]
PA LTCF: [##-0000####]

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at [phone number].

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

[signature]

[typed name]
I don't mind if others use my letter as a base for their own, just try not to plagiarize it 100%. :shock: ;) The second paragraph should be personalized to YOUR story, situation, reasons, etc.

Good luck to other out-of-staters who petition the Chief. Please post here if you're granted a permit, too, so others can have hope.