Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #106244  by CorBon

Anyone having any expecting CC-ing at any of the NPS areas on Independence Mall in Philly? I know that this should be permissible , but I also know that they have security checkpoints at places like the Liberty Bell.
 #106263  by whatevah

NPS rules generally mean CCW is ok for grounds but not inside buildings, generally like a post office. A little research brought me here... http://www.nps.gov/inde/learn/managemen ... licies.htm

"Firearms in National Parks

The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010.

Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting. For more information about Pennsylvania's gun laws, please visit their website.

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances."
 #106264  by CorBon

That's what I found, too. The "certain park facilities and buildings" is the grey area, but speaking with the PA gun-folks, they all seem to believe that there are a boatload of posted signs on the buildings. I personally believe that the NPS language is geared more towards outdoor parks, whereas the Philly stuff is really little more than the actual buildings. I drove through the area on Saturday, and thought about going back again to see the sights that I had seen many years ago. Well, before they became what they are now.

So, I was wondering if anyone had been up there recently. From what I gather, it seems -- it's a no-go.

The PA folks think that the best way to see the Libety Bell is to go around the building and look through the window. Given the nonsense of the whole situation, the best way to see these places looks like -- on the Internet. After all, it's Philly -- where they only have random shootings and murders on days that end in "Y"...

Thanks for your thoughts and time on this.
 #106265  by brich2929

I was up there in Early September. Grudgingly left my CC piece at home.

Went to Visitor Center across from the Liberty Bell to get tickets for Independence Hall (free).

Got over to the Hall and they have a little portico with a metal detector for bags. Security guy said to me "You don't have anything on you, right"?

Me: Nope.

Guy: ok. He let me through.

Basically they just wanted to scan bags. My wife and kids were with me, none of us got wanded or anything (didn't see any wands either, but I'd guessthey have them).

Went to Liberty Bell (also free/no tickets needed). Same thing there, but although they have a security presence, I just put my keys, phone and wallet in the little tray and they ran it through the machine. Good to go, no pat downs, no detector.

Basically, I could've carried (CONCEALED) and they'd not have known.