Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #106444  by tom_20m

Hi all, I live in Middletown, DE and am constantly being harassed for parking my boat on the street. My boat trailer is legally tagged and is connected onto my truck. I've been cited by Middletown Police for parking a boat on public street. I had the impression that if a boat is attached to the pulling vehicle, it's not considered parking? Can someone enlighten me here?
Thanks.
 #106445  by NCC

FWIW: Sometimes they are simply not allowed. Per our Maintenance Corporation bylaws they are not allowed to be parked on the street, in the driveway, or even on the property. Someone can call the police and they will come ticket it. We know this when we by a home so let's not go down THAT road please. If you have a boat then you rent a spot down the street where there is a lot for boats, RVs, etc.

Start with any Maintenance Corporation or Home Associate bylaws, then move onto town and county laws.
 #106454  by Boots

tom_20m wrote:... I've been cited by Middletown Police for parking a boat on public street. ....
The citation you received should list (cite) the law you violated. Have you looked at the exact wording of the law and been able to determine if they applied it correctly to your situation?
 #106455  by MrCoolDale

I'm confused as to why it wouldn't be considered parking. The boat/trailer/truck are parked on the side of the road. What else is there to the definition of a parked vehicle or trailer?

Either way, it sounds like you need to consult your local ordinances.
Specifically §108-3:
No person shall park on any public roadway or dedicated private roadway in a residential district any recreational vehicle whose length is greater than 240 inches, or whose width is over 84 inches, or whose height is over 84 inches, or whose weight exceeds 5,000 pounds. The parking of boats or trailers on public roadways in residential districts is prohibited.
It's also worth noting that there is a maximum length of vehicle that can be parked in residential areas in §108-2 A:
No person shall park in any residential district any tractor, trailer, tractor and trailer, or any combination thereof, bus, dump truck, oil truck or any other vehicle whose length is greater than 240 inches, or whose width is over 84 inches, or whose height is over 84 inches, or whose weight exceeds 5,000 pounds, except when serving a permitted use.
 #106458  by NCC

GatorDude wrote:The police don't fine you for violating deed restrictions/community rules.
You are correct, thank you. I was going to give an update this evening as I had called the local PD and today and was told that.
 #106459  by Boots

GatorDude wrote:The police don't fine you for violating deed restrictions/community rules.
True, but Middletown PD would enforce township laws such as §108-3 which appears to be what the OP is about.