Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #106859  by KAndrewGoodwin

Morning, Everyone. I was wondering how everyone deals with carrying openly in the colder months. A medical issues causes my body to suck at regulating it's temperature anyways; but, colder weather just makes that worse.

Currently, I'm TRYING to locate a used Patrol/Duty jacket (w/ liner) with a split and zippered side-hem. Plans are to strip it of any PD/Security patches, the badge tab, and add some non-gun patches.

My Open Carry has been limited simply because, when I have to really bundle-up... I risk my sidearm being semi-concealed; so, I'd like to find a good Cold Weather clothing carry option.

Thank you in advance, Group! And, if anyone has a jacket in Large Tall or Large XTall... or ANYTHING close... please post and/or message me. THANK YOU!
 #106860  by NCC

Sorry, OTP, search the forum, there are some mentioned.
 #106861  by Kuntryboy816

As I was curious about your question, I did a quick cursory Google search. There's a few options out there but it seems like you'll be paying top $$ for them. 5.11 Tactical had a nice 3-in-1 parka but it was ~$250.

I'll tell you what, you go and find any regular jacket that you like and I'll sex in a side zipper for $50 + materials! Seriously though, it's not a very complicated process to install a side zipper into any jacket you desire. I'm down for saving a buck so it's a no-brainer DIY job for me. My wife has a nice sewing machine so I have that option. You could probably have a local dry cleaning place do the alteration as well. You could even have just a slit added with buttons for closure. That way you can button the coat below the holster if it's a longer jacket.
 #106862  by KAndrewGoodwin

Morning, NCC. I've searched the forums and did find some work-around ideas.

And yes, KB... getting a zipper installed in one of my jackets is an option. I have a seamstress that I use for a lot of things, she's at the dress shop across-from the shoe repair kiosk at the NCC Farmer's Mkt.

Another person posted (elsewhere) to check the Goodwill and Salvation Army resale shops for used Duty Jackets.

Thank you for the replies so far, People. They're much appreciated! :)
 #106863  by dave_in_delaware

Before I got a duty jacket with the side zipper (Spartan Millennium Police Jacket), I had a Land's End winter jacket which I just tucked behind my holster. Worked for me.
 #106868  by KAndrewGoodwin

NCC wrote:Found it.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10110&hilit=zipper
AWESOME! Thank you, NCC!

Looks like the Helikon Jackal Soft Shell Mens Wind Jacket in Coyote would be available from Poland for $85 shipped; that would arrive in 5-7 days. If I get it from the UK, it'll be $69 shipped; but it won't arrive until sometime after the 18th. The window was actually 18th-31st.

Amazon has it also; but, they're saying delivery AFTER January 8th, 2016...

Maybe I'll get a jacket altered this weekend, then order the Jackel from Poland next week...
 #106869  by NCC

If you do get a Jackal I would love to hear your review of it. I just can't pull the trigger on it.
 #106870  by Boots

NCC wrote:If you do get a Jackal I would love to hear your review of it. I just can't pull the trigger on it.
When does the jackal season start?

;)
 #106877  by KAndrewGoodwin

NCC wrote:If you do get a Jackal I would love to hear your review of it. I just can't pull the trigger on it.
Sure thing! Maybe I'll do a review and stick it up on YouTube. Or we can meet-up, and you can check it out in-person. I'll probably order it this time next week. Working around a financial issue. LOVE IT when a company holds their charges... NOT!
Boots wrote:When does the jackal season start?

;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUIyUbXZoE