Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #107635  by MrCoolDale

Hawkeye, my point is that I can't find anything prohibiting metal knuckles, only that they're defined as a deadly weapon (same with switchblades). If they are only defined as deadly weapons, that doesn't make them illegal to possess, just that they require a CCDW to carry.

If switchblades are legal in this state, I'd buy one right now. Although, I believe they are specifically illegal in New Castle County.
 #107636  by Hawkeye

MrCoolDale wrote:If they are only defined as deadly weapons, that doesn't make them illegal to possess, just that they require a CCDW to carry.
That is how I see it as well.
 #107827  by MrCoolDale

I emailed the AG's office and I got a reply asking me to call them. When I called I spoke with Bob Irwin.

He gave me a (mostly) non-answer. I asked if there was any law specifically forbidding the ownership, possession, or carry of metal knuckles and automatic knives. What he told me was that he briefly looked into it after he received my email and was unable to find any such law, but he is unwilling to tell me that it is legal as that could put him in a bad spot. He said if he tells me it's legal, but I end up getting arrested for it that it'd be his office charged with prosecuting me for a law that he told me didn't exist.

It sounds to me like it's an unknown in that office, but I think I'm going to contact a lawyer to get a better answer. Does anyone know of a good lawyer to ask? I'm assuming I'll have to pay for their time to look into it.
 #107828  by dave_in_delaware

Doesn't surprise me that the AG's office asked you to call. They'll never tell you a law (yes or no) in writing because it's then a liability for them. Sad that it's like that, but oh well.

I've emailed them a few different questions in the past and always get told to call. :roll:

I'm not sure which lawyer would be a good suggestion.

I'm assuming that you want to purchase/possess/carry brass knuckles since you're willing to pay some lawyer fees to find out. I'm thinking it won't be a cheap endeavor.
 #108164  by David

During a prostitution sweep in Seaford last week, an arrest was made for brass knuckles. Might provide some insight:

Elwood Willis 37 years of age, address: Bridgeville, DE

Charges: Carrying a Concealed Dangerous Instrument (brass knuckles)

Possession of Counterfeit Substance

Possession of Drug Paraphernalia

Arraigned at JP Court #3 and released on $4000.00 unsecured bond.
 #108167  by Mirlen

Possession of Counterfeit Substance? Powdered sugar is illegal? :-P wouldn't be surprised...
 #108176  by MrCoolDale

David wrote: Charges: Carrying a Concealed Dangerous Instrument (brass knuckles)
The part I find most interesting is the concealed portion of the charge. They aren't being charged with possession of brass knuckles, they're being charged with concealing brass knuckles. That just adds to my theory that they aren't inherently illegal, just illegal to conceal without a license.

I really need to get a lawyer to look this over. I wish I had a bunch of extra money I could throw at this. I'm assuming no lawyer is going to look into it for free.