Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109189  by CorBon

Years ago, Chris Rock (and I'm too lazy to look for the clip) had a little piece about why the metal detectors in bars scared him. His point was that, although you may be somewhat safe while inside, what about outside in the parking lot. And that's just the truth.

So, in the end, all stuff like this does is make us less safe, by disarming those legally allowed to make a choice about defending themselves. Those permitted to carry should still be able to carry. I know the argument about emotions and death and all of that, and I will respond by saying that the comment amounts to nothing more than an insult to legally-permitted gun toters.
 #109190  by Mirlen

Wife had a cardiac event last Sunday (all good now) and we took her to the ER at Christiana. The ER entrance is under construction and a metal detector is going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #110245  by whatevah

A friend sent me a message, they've screened 254,529 people since the metal detectors went in service in December. They've found 2512 knives, 43 guns (2 illegal) and 577 pepper spray cans. Pretty cool.
 #110248  by Kuntryboy816

whatevah wrote:A friend sent me a message, they've screened 254,529 people since the metal detectors went in service in December. They've found 2512 knives, 43 guns (2 illegal) and 577 pepper spray cans. Pretty cool.
So what I read is that they've successfully infringed upon 3,130 legal law abiding citizens' ability to effectively defend themselves against a threat by disarming them while offering no protection to them....
 #110249  by CorBon

Given the number of people that are treated in the ED, it's hard to believe that the number is so small.
 #110252  by whatevah

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
whatevah wrote:A friend sent me a message, they've screened 254,529 people since the metal detectors went in service in December. They've found 2512 knives, 43 guns (2 illegal) and 577 pepper spray cans. Pretty cool.
So what I read is that they've successfully infringed upon 3,130 legal law abiding citizens' ability to effectively defend themselves against a threat by disarming them while offering no protection to them....
You're assuming that all of those knives were from 100% innocent folks. Before the metal detectors, they took away a LOT of knives from not so good folks who were patients (now they can screen visitors too). And, there were incidents where staff had knives pulled on them. And you know that by screening everybody who comes in, they've made it a safer area, knowing that there won't be any retaliation or "finish the job" attempts. No worries about stray rounds.

Only 2 illegal guns really proves that the bad guys know to keep away from the ER... I can promise you that bad dudes were in the ERs carrying illegally very frequently before the detectors went up.
 #110253  by Amy Blackthorn

whatevah wrote: You're assuming that all of those knives were from 100% innocent folks. Before the metal detectors, they took away a LOT of knives from not so good folks who were patients (now they can screen visitors too). And, there were incidents where staff had knives pulled on them. And you know that by screening everybody who comes in, they've made it a safer area, knowing that there won't be any retaliation or "finish the job" attempts. No worries about stray rounds.

Only 2 illegal guns really proves that the bad guys know to keep away from the ER... I can promise you that bad dudes were in the ERs carrying illegally very frequently before the detectors went up.
Innocent until proven guilty. Yup. That's what our laws are supposed to guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #110255  by GatorDude

Do you really think metal detectors are going to keep out bad guys with weapons from Christiana Hospital? :banghead:
whatevah wrote:
Kuntryboy816 wrote:
You're assuming that all of those knives were from 100% innocent folks. Before the metal detectors, they took away a LOT of knives from not so good folks who were patients (now they can screen visitors too). And, there were incidents where staff had knives pulled on them. And you know that by screening everybody who comes in, they've made it a safer area, knowing that there won't be any retaliation or "finish the job" attempts. No worries about stray rounds.