Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #108261  by David

Congressman Carney will be hosting a telephone town hall tonight (Wednesday June 29), starting at 7:30 to discuss the current fight to bring commonsense, bipartisan legislation to prevent gun violence up for a vote in the House; he’ll be taking questions about this legislation and other issues surrounding gun violence - including the attack on Orlando and other terrorist threats.

To participate, simply click here to sign up

https://vekeo.com/johncarneyde/

or text ‘REPCARNEY’ to 828282.

You can also call in at: (877) 229-8493, access code: 18493.

The call will start at 7:30 p.m. and last about an hour.
 #108263  by josephjanes

I got this e-mail from Rep. Carney, also. I have other commitment tonight.
If anyone else participates, please ask Rep. Carney why his fellow Congressman, Rep. John Lewis, is on 'Terror Watch List and/or 'No Fly" List.
Democratic-proposed legislation has no 'Due Process' clause to get off these watch lists.
Again, whenever I hear the phrase 'commonsense gun laws', my brain hears "We want to restrict your rights" !
Another question for Rep. Carney could be 'Isn't the right to keep and bear arms a Civil Right?'
FYI - to get past the screening process, you may have to ask a liberal-type question to get to ask your REAL question of the Congressman.
 #108266  by Owen

Maybe start with the question: "What is you record on the defense of civil rights?"

Then follow up with: "How does limiting self defense protect my civil rights?"
 #108267  by Boots

Criminals will always be able to obtain firearms illegally.

So, ask him this: What are your plans to make it easier for law-abiding citizens to buy firearms since it's well documented that more guns results in less crime?
 #108269  by Boots

For anyone able to join the telephone town hall tonight, ask him this: Since you took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, what do you intend to do to stop the infringement of our Rights, especially the Second Amendment?

And, since our forefathers were against having a standing army, if the word 'militia' comes up be sure to point out it refers to members of a citizen militia which were expected to have their own 'military style' arms and be proficient in their use ("well regulated" in the vernacular of the day).
 #108270  by NCC

Too funny! Such an important issue to all yet everyone has asked the OP to ask questions for them.

David, I am gonna be honest with you. I got the email too but thanks for the sharing. I have simply written off our 3 Democratic representatives in Washington, D.C. so have decided to spend my evening more productively. NOT telling you or anyone else what to do either!

The last time the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act made it to the floor for a vote was maybe 2006 or 2007. Anyway it lost by 2 votes! And how many senators are from Delaware? I have laid it squarely on their shoulders ever since.

Last edited by NCC on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #108274  by Boots

NCC wrote:Too funny! Such an important issue to all yet everyone has asked the OP to ask questions for them.
Don't be a jerk. I have plans every Wednesday evening and was unable to participate so I made some suggestions for anyone that might be on the call and appreciate them. Will it make any difference considering who Carney is? ... probably not, but perhaps it might change someone's mind that is listening in.
NCC wrote:NOT telling you or anyone else what to do either!
I think you know that wasn't my intent, but I don't see how your apathy is any improvement on what you accuse me of.
 #108275  by NCC

Not an accusation but merely an observation.
 #108282  by brich2929

I totally was planning on calling in but it slipped my mind as I ate dinner. I remembered at 8:22 last night but figured it would be over by then.

Judging from his lack of response to posts in his Facebook account and his support of the sit-in and the form-letter responses he gives in reply to conservatives who contact him, I'm guessing it was the same old worthless bs we've always heard.

Did anyone call in and participate or listen?
Perhaps someone can confirm or even better, prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #108289  by CorBon

If you missed the call, then you didn't miss much. Only a few calls, and they were well-picked to showcase the callers slobbering all over themselves when thanking Carney for holding the tele-town hall. All of the normal stuff was talked about -- shootings, killings, questioning why anyone would need one of these weapons of war, banning mags, and so forth. He mostly rambled, and I mean really rambled. The question came up about whether he owned a gun, and of course he said yes, an 11-87 that he hunts and target shoots with.

I absolutely love how almost every anti-gunner owns a gun, and many of the elected officials and stars even have carry permits. But, that's for them to have, and not us. Or, they offer that we're allowed to have the guns that they believe we can have.

So, again, you didn't miss much.