Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #108376  by ptlion

Just a general question. If a felon is coming over to visit, is there anything more that needs to be done past ensuring my firearm(s) are locked and locked away ensuring they have no access to them? Is the requirement different if the felon stays overnight, etc.?
 #108377  by NCC

Is there some law around this? What requires you to be the policeman? I know the felon has their own restrictions that they have to abide by, but I am not aware of anything you are required to do.

BTW, a friend of mine is a felon. In the 80's he held his employer's $3k+ laptop hostage until he got his final pay check. The judge made him a felon for that but made the employer write a check in the courtroom. My point is that there are all kinds of felons and I got one too.

Youth is wasted on the young.
 #108378  by GatorDude

A felon cannot be in "possession" of a firearm. A firearm in your house that you acknowledge is yours should not be considered in their possession. However, the other issue is probation or parole conditions. They may have a condition that they cannot be around firearms or something similar. That could be a problem. That person should speak with their P.O.
 #108384  by Jonnybow

It's not on you, that's for sure. If a felon decides to shop for gloves at a store that sells firearms, he's not breaking the law. Same goes for visiting his buddy who owns firearms unless (like someone already stated) he's breaking some conditions of his probation which again, is on him.
 #108385  by GatorDude

I think the OP wants to try to avoid the visiting felon getting into any trouble due to the presence of firearms. The "it's on him" response really doesn't serve that purpose.
 #108386  by NCC

While you may be right, as the OP used the word "requirement", that is what started my line of questioning in case I was ignorant of some law.
 #108389  by ptlion

The guy I'm referring to was released with no probation or anything. My assumption has been that as long as he has no reasonable means of gaining control of and possessing a firearm, then he is fine. He'd literally have to whip my butt to get it (very highly unlikely...lol) or when locked up, gain access to the combination to the safe where I store magazines and ammo, both keys to my gun storage and the key to my gun lock (which I always keep on me when my firearm isn't in my possession...which would again involve the unlikely butt whoopin).

My wife was told by someone who is a felon that his PO told him that he would NEVER be allowed around a firearm which I told her isn't practical considering he wouldn't be allowed around anyone (including a LEO) who has a firearm. He would also have to ask when going in someone's house if they have a firearm. So, I told her...um..no! Not true. He may have had that restriction when he was on probation some odd years ago.