Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #108417  by Jmastroeni

So Im new here, I introduced myself in the noon section lol. I'm new to open carrying in Delaware and this has been my main issue. When in the car I use a cheap nylon clip holster to the seat belt in the front seat as many suggested. However these means no passengers up front lol. So I took a couple pictures of places i was thinking about mounting a more secure holster. I'm concerned as to the "openess" of it and wanted to get some opinions! Thanks in advanced for any replies!

#108452  by Kuntryboy816

Oops, I replied to your other post before seeing this one. I'll post up some pics of where I mounted a nylon holster in my Jeep before I got my CCDW.
 #108453  by Jmastroeni

Awesome, thanks! I'm gonna take better pictures from outside the window of both seats with someone sitting in each and post them as well as some photos of it installed. Itake definitely visible from outside the car if you're standing at either door
 #108454  by surfacedragon

Am I the only person who thinks that removing a firearm from it's holster for a purely cosmetic reason is not only inadvisable but absolutely unsafe?

I understand this is not the thread to bring this up but every time I see a new person on here ask if their "vehicle holster" is "good enough". It makes me worry for everyone's safety.

Is it wrong to just move your holster from the 3-4 o'clock position to the noon-1 o'clock position then put your seat belt on and drive?
 #108455  by Jmastroeni

Well, the firearm must be "in plain view" inside the vehicle. So leaving it on your waist is a no no. Also, I don't think it's a safety concern as long as you're handling the weapon correctly, safe direction, finger off the trigger ect. If your finger goes near the trigger at any point just because you removed it from the holster, I would never allow that person to handle a weapon near me. Also, my weapon is always "decocked," it is double action but it's an extremely heavy trigger when the hammer is up.
 #108456  by surfacedragon

I carry a Glock 19 and it is "in plain view" from both the driver's side and passenger's side windows when I wear my holster in the noon-1 o'clock position. So what is the problem?

There is no law that says it has to be in a separate holster while in my vehicle.

I know this whole issue comes up because the law but what about public safety. What if one were to get involved in a collision? Would it not be more secure to have your firearm on you belt than held to your dash with hook and loop(Velcro)?

I mean a loss or theft safety issue with the collision scenario not a negligent discharge.
Last edited by surfacedragon on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #108457  by Jmastroeni

I understand your point of view, but I'm also not talking about velcro. I will be removing the paddle from the holster and taking apart the car in order to secure the holster to the side. It's not going to move and it is a retention holster. All I'm saying is I would prefer not to get stopped by the cop who decides that my weapon is not in view enough on my side and charge me with a felony.
 #108458  by surfacedragon

So what would you do if you were to say get a ride from a friend who hasn't modified their vehicle with a specific holster for your specific firearm?

I apologize for getting a little off topic and if the moderators want me to take this discussion elsewhere I will gladly start a new thread.
 #108459  by Jmastroeni

If I could not find a way to secure my holster to the vehicle openly then I might consider having it at 12 and hoping for the best. But I'm talking about during my everyday commuting around, I would not risk a felony over a technicality. It's been stressed by the majority in this forum and ,"unofficially instructed" by the AG office to NOT leave it on your hip. That being said you can have your own opinions. I don't partake in any actions that would be considered unsafe handling of my firearm. I did not post this to argue, I asked a question to receive different opinions,thank you for leaving yours.