Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #106671  by porsche060

Looking to do Hunter Education & the DNREC on-site coursework. Has anyone else done it? Any review on the HunterEdCourse.com
 #106683  by Kuntryboy816

I took it back before the internet was a thing. The hunter safety class is pretty simple in of itself. I can't imagine that the online training is difficult at all. Myself, I like the interaction with the instructors but doing the class online let's you work at your own pace. Pros/cons
 #106845  by CD Long

Took my 14 yr old Grandson thru the course, makes my 3rd time. Always learn something & like Kuntry Boy, I like the mix & mingle.
 #106855  by jslacker

My brother in law took a recent course and told of a story where a deer was hit by a vehicle in the roadway, they got a hands on demonstration on filed dressing that day!
 #106923  by rosco87

Does anyone know the rules for Delaware as far as legal places to hunt. For example my dad lives in a neighborhood that has a large plot of woods in it. To my knowledge the woods are not owned by anyone. As long as I am a certain distance from houses, would it be legal for me to hunt that area? I know it's kinda vague but hopefully it makes sense to someone. I can try to clarify more if needed.
 #106924  by pick_six

"...not owned by anyone..."

Gotta call BS on that one. Every piece of property is owned by some body or group. Folks that claim what you are claiming are attempting to justify trespassing. Or too lazy too look, or both. More importantly, if you know you don't own it, what makes you think you have the right to hunt there? If it's part of a neighborhood, the land is probably held by the community group. Like a common area. I don't know the legal term for that, but they manage it, and would be who.you would have to ask permission from.

Apologies for being blunt. Contact the county. Usually they are the .gov group that tracks deeds and property. It may even be available on line. You can find the owner via these records then ask permission of the owner.

Iirc, Delaware has a setback, no hunting with 100y occupied dwelling. Not sure the offset from roads, if any.

As a land owner that is hit heavily by trespassers, the way you, and lots of try to make the claim just flips a switch.
rosco87 wrote:Does anyone know the rules for Delaware as far as legal places to hunt. For example my dad lives in a neighborhood that has a large plot of woods in it. To my knowledge the woods are not owned by anyone. As long as I am a certain distance from houses, would it be legal for me to hunt that area? I know it's kinda vague but hopefully it makes sense to someone. I can try to clarify more if needed.
 #106925  by Kuntryboy816

rosco87 wrote:Does anyone know the rules for Delaware as far as legal places to hunt. For example my dad lives in a neighborhood that has a large plot of woods in it. To my knowledge the woods are not owned by anyone. As long as I am a certain distance from houses, would it be legal for me to hunt that area? I know it's kinda vague but hopefully it makes sense to someone. I can try to clarify more if needed.
http://www.eregulations.com/delaware/hu ... formation/
PROHIBITED METHODS OF TAKE – It is unlawful to:

General
•Hunt out-of-season, without a license, take more than the daily limit, or possess unlawfully killed game.
•Hunt within 100 yards of an occupied structure (unless hunter is the owner or occupant, or has permission from the owner or occupant) or drop shot on buildings or people. In New Castle County, north of I-295 and I-95 the distance is 200 yards. However, when hunting deer with archery equipment, a hunter must be at least 50 yards from a structure.
•Discharge any firearm from or within 15 yards of public road or shoot across a public road or right-of-way.
•Trespass with gun or dog or trap on private property without prior permission of the landowner whether or not the land is “posted.”
•Damage any nest, den, or lair of game animals or birds.
•Use an artificial light to illuminate wildlife from a motor vehicle for the purpose of hunting or observation.
•Use night vision or infrared devices while hunting.
•For specifics on waterfowl and other migratory birds, see Federal Regulations....

There's plenty more, just check out the rules and regs at the the link I posted above.
 #106928  by rosco87

Well sorry to "flip a switch" but that is why I asked! I didn't do it! Man guys like you make me wish I didn't ask and just never do it and never know! Sheesh! If someone is asking a question obviously they want to know the right way of doing something! If I didn't care to know I wouldn't have asked and would have just done it! Ugh sorry you just flipped a switch with me!
 #106929  by pick_six

Rosco, you didn't ask about trespassing. you seemed pretty determined to violate someone else property rights. be that a person or group. and you seem to be looking have the folks here justify your illegal activities. it also violates one of the rules from the game regs.
rosco87 wrote: To my knowledge the woods are not owned by anyone.
that is not a question. where did you check to draw your conclusion?

but i did give you the proper information for finding the owner, and attempt to keep you from running up against an illegal situation. and you want to be all upset about it.
pick_six wrote: Contact the county. Usually they are the .gov group that tracks deeds and property. It may even be available on line. You can find the owner via these records then ask permission of the owner.
most community group owners will not let someone hunt common grounds either, except on some of those places that bill themselves as hunting communities. i've never seen them in DE, but a few southern states do that. IF the property is owned by a community group, it's not likely they'd want to give permission, strictly for potential liability reasons.

but to your original post:

you know you don't own that land, and you were going there, and only worried about the setbacks in your original question. so why would you think no one owned it? an you know you don't own it, so why would you assume you could hunt that parcel? you jumped past the ownership question right to how do i hunt the land, not how do i get permission.

maybe the first question you should have asked is something like, how do i find out who owns a parcel of land?

oh well. good luck and merry christmas.
rosco87 wrote:Well sorry to "flip a switch" but that is why I asked! I didn't do it! Man guys like you make me wish I didn't ask and just never do it and never know! Sheesh! If someone is asking a question obviously they want to know the right way of doing something! If I didn't care to know I wouldn't have asked and would have just done it! Ugh sorry you just flipped a switch with me!
 #106951  by rosco87

Once again I didn't trespass on yours or anyone else's land so please direct your hatred of trespassers on to someone else! Maybe I did word it wrong but that's no reason to jump off at someone! You could have just said something like "someone somewhere owns the land so you would have to find out who or what owns the land and get permission" simple and polite! No need to be a jerk!