Login    

Register FAQ  •  Search    

· Home ·   Forums ·  Who Are We? ·  What is Open Carry? ·  CCDW Process ·  FAQ ·  Contact ·  Terms ·

Fundraiser to Support Delaware Open Carry!

We've come to that time of the year when our server lease and domain name registrations are coming up for renewal. In the past, many of you have expressed your generosity in the form of donations in order to keep the site running - I'm asking for your support again this year.

Please visit our donation information page for more details and, if you enjoy this site, if you've ever attended our gatherings or, if this community has brought you some knowledge or entertainment, please give what you can to keep us going.

→ Donation Information Page ←

It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to State and State Laws
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm 

MikesDuster wrote:
I am keeping my car reg and drivers license in Florida for a yr, so ill have time to get a Florida non-resident license. ....
Once you establish residence in another State, you have a limited time to change your driver license. For DE I forget if it's 30 or 60 days.

Legally speaking, if you are involved in a self-defense shooting, and it's found that you have a residence in DE but have illegally maintained a FL DL in order to illegally conceal carry here, your troubles are just beginning.

In spite of whatever DL you have, or don't have, a DE resident MUST have a DE CCDW in order to conceal carry in DE.

I don't like it either, but that's the way it is here.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:04 pm 

Boots wrote:
MikesDuster wrote:
I am keeping my car reg and drivers license in Florida for a yr, so ill have time to get a Florida non-resident license. ....
Once you establish residence in another State, you have a limited time to change your driver license. For DE I forget if it's 30 or 60 days.

Legally speaking, if you are involved in a self-defense shooting, and it's found that you have a residence in DE but have illegally maintained a FL DL in order to illegally conceal carry here, your troubles are just beginning.

In spite of whatever DL you have, or don't have, a DE resident MUST have a DE CCDW in order to conceal carry in DE.

Is there any type of provision to that rule if you keep a residence in another state? ...sort of like w/ car tags and insurance? I thought that I read, a while back, something to the effect of it depending on if you spent so many days in another said state that you didn't need to transfer residency... but I could be wrong as it was quite a while back that I'm pulling a memory from. :|

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:05 am 

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
Is there any type of provision to that rule if you keep a residence in another state? ...sort of like w/ car tags and insurance? I thought that I read, a while back, something to the effect of it depending on if you spent so many days in another said state that you didn't need to transfer residency... but I could be wrong as it was quite a while back that I'm pulling a memory from. :|
You're talking about something entirely different.

If you're leaving a residence in one state and transferring to one in another state, your address on your license is no longer valid and you have a limited time to get a new license in the state you're moving to.

However, if you are maintaining a residence in your home state year round (where you will live for more than half the year) there is no need to change your license to the state where you have a temporary residence (where you live for less than half a year).

Snow birds decide which state is their "home" residence and then make sure they spend at least half the year there. The rest of the year is spent at their other residence.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:08 pm 

Does anyone think that Delaware will accept more states CCL, in the near future???
Anyone on here have a Utah CCL???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:38 pm 

MikesDuster wrote:
Does anyone think that Delaware will accept more states CCL, in the near future???
I have UT, which can cover me in states that don't honor my DE CCDW while I'm traveling.

However, a DE resident MUST have a DE CCDW for concealed carry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 pm 

MikesDuster wrote:

It is unlikely that the Delaware AG will expand the list of reciprocal states. He is not a fan of firearms.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:43 am 

GatorDude wrote:
MikesDuster wrote:

It is unlikely that the Delaware AG will expand the list of reciprocal states. He is not a fan of firearms.

He won't do it of his own accord.... BUT hopefully soon he won't have any choice in the matter! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:25 am 

Just finished this exact process as a new residents. Good luck. Hmu if you need any guidance or info

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:07 am 

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
Boots wrote:
MikesDuster wrote:

Driver's license concerning new resident..

https://www.dmv.de.gov/services/driver_ ... ov18.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:52 pm 

Your "residence" is generally the state where you spend the majority of your time (there are exceptions). You can be "domiciled" in more than one state (houses in two states, for instance). You are supposed to (required) to have your DL in the state of your residence. You are given a period of time when you change residences to apply for the correct state license.

A vehicle does not necessarily need to be registered in the state of your residence. Rather, it is supposed to be registered either in your state of residence or where it is principally "garaged" (parked/kept). Most people who live/reside in one state and have a vehicle registered and insured in another state are probably doing so illegally.