Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109141  by josephjanes

Be aware - OC in DE becomes CC as soon as you sit in your car - weapon must be plainly visible on dashboard or front seat - it is not visible to LEO if it is on your hip in vehicle.
If applying for CCL, cost of ad depends on where you live -e.g. many Newark applicants put ad in Wilmington News Journal (major paper in the state) for approx. $95, when they could put ad in Newark Post for approx. $47. FYI.
 #109142  by MikesDuster

OC cant become CC once you're in your car because it has to be out in the open, correct??

I am keeping my car reg and drivers license in Florida for a yr, so ill have time to get a Florida non-resident license.

Once we register everything in Delaware, ill put a ad in The Guide for 2 weeks. My question for this is....I need 5 letters of recommendation, do they have too be from ppl that live in Delaware???
 #109143  by MikesDuster

Ive already been finger printed and have a picture, do I still have to get them done in Delaware???

I love this site!!!!! You guys have been great with all your info. Thanks!!!!
 #109144  by astro_wanabe

OC can inadvertently turn into unlawful CC if you're not careful and the gun gets covered by something before you have a CCDW. Keeping it out in the open is how you prevent that.

The 5 letters of recommendation must come from residents of the county in DE in which you reside.
§1441(a)(2) At the same time the person shall file, with the Prothonotary, a certificate of 5 respectable citizens of the county in which the applicant resides at the time of filing the application. The certificate shall clearly state that the applicant is a person of full age, sobriety and good moral character, that the applicant bears a good reputation for peace and good order in the community in which the applicant resides, and that the carrying of a concealed deadly weapon by the applicant is necessary for the protection of the applicant or the applicant's property, or both. The certificate shall be signed with the proper signatures and in the proper handwriting of each such respectable citizen.
I believe you will need to be fingerprinted on the fingerprint card used by the state police / DE State Bureau of Identification. There really aren't any shortcuts in the process.
 #109147  by GatorDude

Resident Judge Witham in Kent County has also indicated that the 3 Resident Judges in Delaware (that approve CCDW permits) have a policy that the residents who give you a recommendation must know you for about a year. There have been exceptions made, but that is the general rule.

I questioned Judge Witham on that rule since it essentially deprives you of your right to carry concealed until you are a resident in Delaware for a year or more. Of course, he couldn't respond to that issue directly. However, it has not been challenged apparently.
 #109148  by MikesDuster

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping, since ive already been thru the process, it would have been a little easier for me but I guess not. Haha.

I wish CCL was kinda like a driver's license. All states recognize and allow you to use your CCL in their state and if you move, you just get a new CCL without all the bs.
 #109151  by radnor

Also since you'll be here just for 1 year, may need driving abstract from FL too.
(One more hoop - sorry)
 #109152  by GatorDude

radnor wrote:Also since you'll be here just for 1 year, may need driving abstract from FL too.
(One more hoop - sorry)
I've never heard of anything of the sort being needed at any time. Your driving record is not part of the application process. Rather, the DOJ likes to look at it for reasons to take an adverse position relative to your application. That does not make it a requirement.
 #109162  by radnor

You are correct, it is not a REQUIREMENT. But the he will jump through all the hoops and one more will be placed in front of him. Just wanted him to be aware of this.
 #109163  by soundman2345

MikesDuster wrote:OC cant become CC once you're in your car because it has to be out in the open, correct??

I am keeping my car reg and drivers license in Florida for a yr, so ill have time to get a Florida non-resident license.

Once we register everything in Delaware, ill put a ad in The Guide for 2 weeks. My question for this is....I need 5 letters of recommendation, do they have too be from ppl that live in Delaware???
They need to be residents in your county.