Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109486  by 12gaugegal

If my reference answers "no" to question 5 which asks "Are you aware of the reason this applicant has applied for a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon?" Will that affect my application in a negitive way or not? I didn't notice it until I took the application home. I would hate to ask them to re-do the form. Thanks!
 #109504  by josephjanes

Recommended to me by my instructor - mimic Title 11, Sec. 1441 wording, and have your reference answer 'Yes' , and reason, - 'for his (her) personal protection, and the protection of his (her) family, and protection of his (her) property. Same thing also recommended by Superior Court judge at a legal conference (DASAL) I attended 2 years ago. What was NOT recommended by the judge (as an example) - "He goes to the auction (farmers market, etc.) every Saturday with a large amount of cash"
I wrote out the wording for my references, and asked each of them to change it up a little. Would you rather ask a reference to re-do the form, or risk giving the state an excuse to deny or delay your application ??
If only 1 out of 5 references answers 'No', it may not matter. Also, FYI, I don't know how carefully the state checks background of reference, but I submitted 6 references , just in case 1 of them had a 'past' I was not aware of !!
 #109505  by 12gaugegal

Thanks so much for all your information. I spoke to a lady that works for Sussex County Prothonotary's Office and says that she is pretty sure it will go through just fine, but I'm going to get a 6th reference like you suggested.
 #109508  by Boots

12gaugegal wrote:If my reference answers "no" to question 5 which asks "Are you aware of the reason this applicant has applied for a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon?" Will that affect my application in a negitive way or not? I didn't notice it until I took the application home. I would hate to ask them to re-do the form. Thanks!
A "No" answer is perfectly acceptable to that question. The form makes it clear you're applying for a CCDW. And the form is merely a character reference. ( http://courts.delaware.gov/forms/download.aspx?ID=33218 )

Years ago, I asked 6 friends to fill out a reference form for me, giving them no instructions as to how to fill it out. All 6 filled out the form and returned it to me. When I filed I sent all six just because I had them.

Three of the six answered "No" to that question (#4 on the form at that time), and it was not an issue for my getting my license.
 #109510  by whatevah

If you think about it, them answering "no" is as good or better as them answering "yes". Meaning they don't need you to justify to them why you need a permit, they trust you regardless.