Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #88230  by tom_20m

Hi all, I 'd like to know what DE laws are on usage of unmarked police vehicles. It seems I've been seeing more and more of them used to pull over unsuspecting motorists. I know in some states, unmarked vehicles are not allowed to be used for enforcement of moving violations. Anyone have any input or know where I can find this info?
 #88233  by whatevah

DSP used to run an unmarked gold Impala for a few years... a common sight on Rt 1 between 13 and 273. They've used unmarked Durangos on 95 targeting aggressive drivers. Those would all blend in, though. Now that they've started replacing the Durangos with Chevy Tahoes (with "police" wheels) and the Impala with the new Caprice (police car only in the US), they stand out more. But, like the good Doctor said, no rules in Delaware on unmarked vehicles for traffic enforcement. Most unmarked vehicles in Delaware are for detectives, so they won't do traffic, but there are unmarked cars assigned to the traffic units.
 #88239  by Tate

I know they have 2 unmarked cars in Felton, a unmarked blue car in Harrington, and a Unmarked Maroon car in Dover.
 #88240  by Guard_Duck

It seems like I've seen more unmarked SUV's running traffic/DOT type enforcement lately. The NCCPD has a few unmarked Explorers, and DSP has the Tahoes as well as Suburbans.

At least for NCCPD, the unmarked looks better than the new scheme they are putting on the Explorers and Impalas.
 #88241  by Kuntryboy816

What about any regulations on their vehicles having DE tags? I saw a LEO yesterday driving a Charger(?) with full light bars in the back windshield, PC setup and all but he had Illinois tags!! :?
 #88242  by sanman9781

Slightly off-topic but it might come in handy:

#88249  by Dr. Eastwood

Kuntryboy816 wrote:What about any regulations on their vehicles having DE tags? I saw a LEO yesterday driving a Charger(?) with full light bars in the back windshield, PC setup and all but he had Illinois tags!! :?
If you're being pulled over by a vehicle with Illinois tags in Delaware, contact 911 and refuse to roll down the window for them when you come to a stop in a well lit public area. The same goes for any other unmarked vehicle you're unsure that attempts to make a stop.
 #88250  by stephpd

MIB!

I had one follow me all the way home from a road block I avoided in Wilmington. All black pickup truck with dark tinted windows and a PA inspection stickers on the windshield. Never stopped me or flash the lights. (If he had any)

Another unusual unmarked car is a sports car the DSP is using now. Little 2 door thing. (cop looked like he used a shoehorn to fit into the car) Not sure of make and model but I've seen it pulling over cars around Harvey Rd multiple times recently. Only hint is the lights in the grill and out the back window when pulling someone over.

I've also seen where WPD using vehicles they impounded that in no way look like a POS. Again with dark tinted windows, PA stickers and nice rims.