Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109703  by zach619

so i still haven't really open carried yet..i have a good holster have everything i believe i need ..just i guess scared to? i guess its from living in new jersey for my hole life to but most scared about tthe cops an what they will do an how i would handle it..was told by a state cop he would hand cuff me take my gun run my background ..
 #109704  by whatevah

Your interaction with the police depends on why you're dealing with them. If you walk past one in the grocery store, he'll just keep walking. If they have no reason to talk to you, they won't. Just carrying a gun isn't a reason for them to stop/detain you, as it isn't a crime. If you're being detained for suspicion of committing a crime, then that's different. If you're pulled over for a simple speeding offense (not reckless or something stupid), then that can vary by officer (often just "don't touch yours, and I won't touch mine")... but never to the point of handcuffs unless you escalate the situation.

To put it simply... openly carrying a gun is not a crime in Delaware (unless you're a felon), and your interaction with police depends almost entirely on how you act. Get belligerent and you might end up in jail. Be calm and normal, and you'll be on your way shortly.
 #109708  by Owen

My LEO interactions have all been a simple "acknowledgment nod" to each other.

I haven't been pulled over in DE while OCing so I can't speak to that. I tend to drive conservatively while carrying but that is just the right thing to do anyway. :D
 #109709  by zach619

That's what I'm really worrying about is cops..They see a younger person like me they might handle it differently idk
 #109710  by Kuntryboy816

I have the same type experiences as Owen. While none of my OC encounters with LEO have been while driving, I have had my fair share while out and about. Anything from walking down Main Street to stopping to help diasbaled motorists until LEO show up, none have been negative encounters at all. Matter of fact, I haven't actually been approached or stopped for OC'ing and it seems like for the most part DE's LEOs are pretty on point with OC. We'll have a meeting in the area next month, so there'll be an opportunity to come hang out with some fellow OC'ers. What area of DE are you located in?
 #109711  by zach619

That's good to hear. Im in bear right near the 7-11 super Wawa an yea I went to the last one but no one showed up other then one guy I talked to for a little. I do plan on going to the Next one for sure
 #109712  by Amy Blackthorn

zach619 wrote:That's what I'm really worrying about is cops..They see a younger person like me they might handle it differently idk
My best friend started carrying at 21. Never had an interaction with the police. Still a non-issue.
 #109713  by Kuntryboy816

zach619 wrote:That's good to hear. Im in bear right near the 7-11 super Wawa an yea I went to the last one but no one showed up other then one guy I talked to for a little. I do plan on going to the Next one for sure
The one @ Salem Church Rd. and Rt. 40? If so we're neighbors! I live in Glasgow Court behind the Wawa. It's definitely a good thing for you to be carrying as the surrounding area is pretty crime ridden. I feel like I know all of the NCC LEOs by name as much as they are running through our neighborhood. Hopefully I'll be at the next monthly meeting as well.
 #109714  by zach619

Yea I believe we are I'm in Waterford. Behind the 7-11 kinda I'm still new to the area don't know names of roads to well
 #109716  by radnor

Guy on here YEARS AGO (Mustang Dave) looked about 14.