Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109820  by airman1968

Good Morning all!!!
I'm sure this issue has been talked about before. Vehicle storage if you are carrying and need to go to a location that you can not carry, (government bldg, school, etc..) can I lock my weapon and magazine in a secure vault in my vehicle? And be legal. Yes I have a CCDW.

Thanks
 #109823  by whatevah

No legal issue since you have a CCDW... just lock it up, you can even leave it loaded. I'd recommend using a steel container of some sort, don't use the stock plastic glove box.

Some vehicles have special items made to fit them, others you'll need to get a generic box and either bolt it to the floor/trunk or use a cable to secure it to the seat frame. I'd recommend looking at Tuffy first, since they have offerings for a few different vehicles in addition to generic boxes. https://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx
 #109824  by airman1968

whatevah wrote:No legal issue since you have a CCDW... just lock it up, you can even leave it loaded. I'd recommend using a steel container of some sort, don't use the stock plastic glove box.

Some vehicles have special items made to fit them, others you'll need to get a generic box and either bolt it to the floor/trunk or use a cable to secure it to the seat frame. I'd recommend looking at Tuffy first, since they have offerings for a few different vehicles in addition to generic boxes. https://www.tuffyproducts.com/default.aspx

Thank you whatevah, I appreciate that
 #109825  by whatevah

just remember that you can only have a loaded pistol in a vehicle, not a rifle due to the hunting laws, even with the CCDW.
 #109826  by airman1968

whatevah wrote:just remember that you can only have a loaded pistol in a vehicle, not a rifle due to the hunting laws, even with the CCDW.
Got it, This is for my EDC shield..
 #109830  by airman1968

astro_wanabe wrote:Just FYI you can legally carry in a school in DE with your CCDW
This I was not aware of..
 #109843  by GatorDude

While I do not disagree that a CCDW permit enables you to carry on school property, does anyone have any experience open carrying on school property (public school preferred)? Any run-ins with law enforcement over the issue?
 #109844  by astro_wanabe

Can't say I've ever seen anyone OC at a school, and these days it would probably result in the School Resource Officer asking you to leave at minimum. If you're really unlucky maybe having the school go on lockdown or worse. Unfortunately if one is looking to avoid confrontation CC'ing is probably the better option.