Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #109969  by Owen

I just heard that a person was arrested while vehicle open carrying in Wilmington because the Wilmington Police accused the person of concealing a handgun in the holster on their dash. Something along the lines of even though the holster was in plain view it still partially concealed the hand gun.

Anyone else hear this?

I'm going to get a couple of those magnet holders just to be safe.
 #109971  by Owen

My thoughts exactly. If I hear anything more I'll let you all know. Sounds like a DA trick more than anything.
 #109973  by GatorDude

Amy Blackthorn wrote:If this happened, I hope the poor soul sues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First they have to get the charge(s) dropped, dismissed or be found not guilty....
 #109974  by NormH3

Their logic is broken. If that were the case every one who open carries on their person with a holster would also be in violation. I believe the city was already sued over one OC incident and lost. I guess they enjoy giving away money.
 #109977  by Owen

NormH3 wrote:Their logic is broken. If that were the case every one who open carries on their person with a holster would also be in violation. I believe the city was already sued over one OC incident and lost. I guess they enjoy giving away money.
^ This is what I told the person relating the arrest to me! I asked for the case number so if I get that I'll let you know. I suggested a go-fund-me for the defense but that was not a popular suggestion. :troll:
 #109978  by dave_in_delaware

NormH3 wrote:Their logic is broken. If that were the case every one who open carries on their person with a holster would also be in violation.
Yes, this exactly.

If this were the case I would have been arrested for concealing without a license back in 2008 after my self defense shooting incident.
 #109979  by Owen

dave_in_delaware wrote:If this were the case I would have been arrested for concealing without a license back in 2008 after my self defense shooting incident.
I agree Dave. But logic and Wilmington are not necessarily good friends. The Wilmington Housing Authority case comes to mind.

I was told it was the unit that runs around in tactical gear I think called "Operation Disrupt".
 #109981  by California_Exile

The following is cynical and may cross the line into paranoia. I know nothing about this particular incident, but: (1) Wilmington's new police chief comes to us from NYC via Chicago. (2) In Chicago, he got pretty well known as the CompStat guy. (3) If one has the typical NYC-Chicago police brass / press view about guns, then one is likely to think that "taking guns off the street" is a high-priority goal, and that guns is guns, regardless of who (other than cops) is carrying them or in what manner. OC'ers, drug dealers with long rap sheets, it's all the same. (4) It is much easier for CompStat-type systems to measure progress in "taking guns off the street" by counting arrests and administrative confiscations of weapons than to measure that progress by counting actual convictions for actual crimes. Ergo (5) one simple way to show progress in crime-fighting is to arrest people for gun possession without caring too much about whether they were committing crimes or not. The arrest juices the statistic whether the "bad guy" walks because of some b.s. technicality or because he was actually just a normal citizen lawfully carrying for his own protection and not doing anything illegal.

Moreover (6) the gun-hating press will, out of stupidity and/or malice, never notice the foregoing strategy (or numerous other ways to manipulate the CompStat system to show "progress" that doesn't actually make the city a better place to live), and if they do, they will argue that it's both The Will Of The People and obviously necessary for public safety.

Add all this together, and we should all consider the possibility that we're in the process of becoming low-hanging fruit for the CompStat method.
 #109983  by Owen

That is what I was thinking also California_Exile.

I think I need to send an email to our DE Attorney General asking how does one legally open carry a handgun in a vehicle.