Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #110446  by rosco87

I have a group of men going to Texas to help with search and rescue and relief efforts! We have plenty of food and water and supplies. But what we need is funds. I HATE asking for money but I feel that I need to! If anyone can help even if it's $1 it would be greatly appreciated! We are leaving tomorrow and will leave the gofundme up until we get back!

Thank you!

https://www.gofundme.com/de-2-texas-harvey-fund
 #110448  by rosco87

Bump!
 #110458  by georgie c

hey
Russell how goes it? I think folks may think this is a little early for an assistance trip. there are a lot of big orgs. handling the effort . if a lot of small groups rush in to early it may tax dwindling resources for those trying to make it day to day. (gas. hotel rooms, food ) I would recommend getting your resources together and going s little later after folks can get back home and need help with uninsured repairs. just sayin :?:
 #110462  by NormH3

georgie c wrote:hey
Russell how goes it? I think folks may think this is a little early for an assistance trip. there are a lot of big orgs. handling the effort . if a lot of small groups rush in to early it may tax dwindling resources for those trying to make it day to day. (gas. hotel rooms, food ) I would recommend getting your resources together and going s little later after folks can get back home and need help with uninsured repairs. just sayin :?:
Very good point. The first responders don't need extra people in the area right now.
 #110476  by rosco87

Actually when we got there, We were able to deliver insulin to a lady who ran out of her supply. We also brought food and supplies to a neighborhood that had about 3ft of water on a 3 mile stretch of road, the neighborhood was dry but they weren't able to leave. We went to the county airport and helped unload Military helicopters and civilian planes that were bringing supplies in. We brought down a truck load of supplies and donated them to a local church that had a shelter set up. We were able to stay at the emergency operations center where the national guard and other emergency services had staged. We also got attached to a national guard unit for the day because they needed a medic to go with them while they trucked supplies out to different areas. So to anyone saying it was too soon I say it was just in time. Sure we might not have saved anyones lives directly and such but it was still a successful trip which I am grateful I was able to make. The amount of thank yous and hugs we got when we brought people things is all that I needed. We didn't have to pay for one meal down there. although we gave donations to places in lieu of paying directly for the food people were so thankful for the people that came to help they were giving food away to volunteers and some private citizens were opening up there homes to volunteers as well. It made me love Texas that much more after all they went through they were still trying to help the helpers.
 #110477  by pick_six

nice work!
rosco87 wrote:Actually when we got there, We were able to deliver insulin to a lady who ran out of her supply. We also brought food and supplies to a neighborhood that had about 3ft of water on a 3 mile stretch of road, the neighborhood was dry but they weren't able to leave. We went to the county airport and helped unload Military helicopters and civilian planes that were bringing supplies in. We brought down a truck load of supplies and donated them to a local church that had a shelter set up. We were able to stay at the emergency operations center where the national guard and other emergency services had staged. We also got attached to a national guard unit for the day because they needed a medic to go with them while they trucked supplies out to different areas. So to anyone saying it was too soon I say it was just in time. Sure we might not have saved anyones lives directly and such but it was still a successful trip which I am grateful I was able to make. The amount of thank yous and hugs we got when we brought people things is all that I needed. We didn't have to pay for one meal down there. although we gave donations to places in lieu of paying directly for the food people were so thankful for the people that came to help they were giving food away to volunteers and some private citizens were opening up there homes to volunteers as well. It made me love Texas that much more after all they went through they were still trying to help the helpers.
 #110483  by dave_in_delaware

Great job. :applause: