Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #110863  by Doctor

A question to anyone who’d like to answer/comment: I Delaware State Police officer made a ‘off the record’ comment to me not too long ago—paraphrasing here—“[sic] if you’re going to carry a concealed weapon, why do you want to publish your name and address in a newspaper? . . . [sic] what positive purpose do five ‘references’ serve?” I agree with his point of view. Comments/replies???
 #110864  by astro_wanabe

A) yes, we are aware of how stupid the requirements are

B) it's been done that way for a long time, and nobody in power seems inclined to remove requirements.

Supposedly back in the day when everyone read the paper it gave a chance for the community to notice that the "town nut" or someone with a known violent streak / grudge was applying. They could mention their concerns to the Judge and a license might not be issued, despite there not being any criminal history that would automatically cause a denial (remember our process is technically "may-issue" not "shall-issue").
 #110868  by Owen

There was talk of revising the process with a commission and taking it from the Prothonotary if I recall correctly. I looked it up and it appears to be HB 232.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11202