Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #908  by LordJim

Does anyone know anything about the Wilmington Music School?

If this is covered under the Safe School Zone act then I won't even be legally allowed to leave my front porch without a carry permit. This could very well be the end of open carry in my neighborhood.

-
Jim
 #913  by Wynder

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

The term school means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Wilmington music school is center where they give music lessons and hold concerts -- they do not provide primary or secondary education.
 #914  by LordJim

Wilmington music school is center where they give music lessons and hold concerts -- they do not provide primary or secondary education.
Excellent. I asked a few of my neighbors and nobody was really sure. I think I'll follow up with a visit there just to be sure.

-
Jim
 #915  by Wynder

Always a good idea, I've played a couple of concerts there and I recall that it only offered music lessons had had no full educational program.
 #947  by LordJim

Good news for me! I just spoke with someone at the Wilmington Music School and have confirmed that they are not a primary or secondary school, so that means that I don't have to worry about the 1,000' rule with them. Now, as far as the other 5 or 6 schools in the neighborhood are concerned, I think that I can easily make my way around them.

-
Jim
 #953  by Wynder

LordJim wrote:Good news for me! I just spoke with someone at the Wilmington Music School and have confirmed that they are not a primary or secondary school, so that means that I don't have to worry about the 1,000' rule with them. Now, as far as the other 5 or 6 schools in the neighborhood are concerned, I think that I can easily make my way around them.

-
Jim
If WMS is right across the street from you, yeah -- you're in a veritable pickle with Mt. Pleasant HS and Elementary and the catholic school right there as well.
 #954  by LordJim

It's not exactly directly across the street - I'm on Market St. side of Washington Street extension, but WMS is three blocks, max. So long as I stay on my side of WSE then I think that I'm OK. Either way, a carry permit would certainly put me at ease with regards to the whole school issue.

-
Jim
 #958  by stephpd

Isn't he closer to PS DuPont, Harlan or Barret St school?There are a few schools between Washington St. and Miller Road. Hard to go 10 blocks without hitting a school.Not much east of Washington St until you get to NE Blvd. But walking east of Market St is CRAZY!

Sorry, missed your post about being on Washington St. Ext. Stay North of Lea Blvd and you should be cool. Lots of nice neighborhoods and wooded area's over there.
 #963  by dave_in_delaware

I think we should ban these schools from being within our Open Carry Zone. Hah!
 #966  by LordJim

Now THERE'S an idea I can get behind!

Taking a closer look at the map I'm pretty close to Harlen, as well. I'd be fine with OC around here if I didn't have that federal law to contend with. As I understand the Delaware laws, there's no problem with me carrying near a school so long as I don't commit any crimes.

-
Jim