Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #930  by cappilot06

Hey guys,
I just joined the forums last week, but have been reading as much as I can about open carry. I introduced myself in the new member section, and hope to meet some of you at an upcoming meeting. Before I feel I can open carry though, I have another question. Currently I have a S&W 9mm. It's currently in a very old holster that my dad had, but it only has belt loops. Can anyone recommend a decent holster that isn't ridiculously priced that would be easy to get on and off when getting in and out of a vehicle. Right now, I would be hard pressed to stay open carry since I would almost have to take the belt off to get the holster off.
Any input is very much appreciate,

Thanks!
Carl
 #935  by Wynder

Carl,

Many of us use the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster -- it has active retention which is highly recommended for open carry. What kind of S&W 9mm do you have?

Edit: Also has a paddle attachment that lets you slip it on and off fairly easily.
 #936  by cappilot06

Hey again,
I have a S&W Model 5906 that I bought about 6 months ago. Did really well at the range, and am getting more comfortable with it. I had an old .38 service revolver that my dad owned, and traded it in for the 9mm. The .38 was about 30 years old and I was getting worried that the thing was going to blow up in my hand.LOL.

Will definitely check out your recommendation on the holster. I definitely like the active retention feature, and from taking a look at the specs on the holster it appears that its still an easy draw holster.

Once again, I want to emphasize how glad I am to be able to talk to people who have experience in the OC area. I think it will be weird the first time, but know that my family will be safer for it. BTW, I live in northern Wilmington off of Silverside Road. Any good suggestions for a low-profile place for my first OC?
 #937  by Wynder

Perhaps a grocery store? Someplace not too populated and somewhat wide-open?

Good question, and I personally don't have a good answer -- anyone else?
 #938  by stephpd

Which end of Silver side Road? Philadelphia Pike or Concord Pike?

Start first in the house. Then try your front and back yard. If you have a dog and take it for walks. Start small and work your way up to places like Wawa, Home Depot. It feels weird the first few times but gets better. ;)
 #941  by myopicvisionary

What brand of .38 service revolver? Most probably a S&W, Colt or Ruger. Little to worry about them blowing up! Please don't tell me it was a classic S&W Model 10 with a Tyler T-Grip adapter and magna stocks in an old Berns-Martin holster!
 #943  by bms429

Probably the most important part of OC'ing is knowing the law, well lack of law. Check out one of the sticky posts that wynder has posted about gun laws in Delaware. It is very helpful and show how big of a gun nut he really is :kuku: :ugeek: just kidding. he is a really smart mand and a great source of information.
 #944  by LordJim

cappilot06 wrote:Will definitely check out your recommendation on the holster. I definitely like the active retention feature, and from taking a look at the specs on the holster it appears that its still an easy draw holster.
I'll second the recommendation for the Blackhawk Serpa. I picked mine up last week and the holster itself is almost unnoticeable, add the weight of the weapon and it gets a little heavy, but I'm not sure that there's too much that you can do about that. This holster is VERY secure when worn with the paddle. I haven't tried it yet in 'belt loop only mode', but also feel that there's not much need to. Finally, and I was a bit worried about this at first, I can't imagine how you could possibly draw with your finger in the trigger guard when using this holster - that's a Good Thing.

You can pick one up made specifically for the S&W M&P 9mm from Target Master on 202.
Once again, I want to emphasize how glad I am to be able to talk to people who have experience in the OC area. I think it will be weird the first time, but know that my family will be safer for it. BTW, I live in northern Wilmington off of Silverside Road. Any good suggestions for a low-profile place for my first OC?
I think it was Stephpd who recommended various low profile places to carry and how to get used to it. Purely by chance, that's exactly what I'm doing (I'm new to this, too).

-
Jim
 #951  by Wynder

If you want to use the belt-loop attachment, it's imperative that you have a study belt. I got the dress belt from http://www.concealedcarry.com/ (website down at the moment -- hope they're still in business!). It was a bit pricey at $70 or so, but it's a beautiful belt and its designed for the additional 3-5 pounds on your side... I wear mine every day, even at work where I can't carry.

If you use the belt loop attachment, while a sturdy normal belt may suffice for a month or so, the leather will still stretch and begin to loose its integrity. The paddle attachment shouldn't have that issue.

I normally do paddle for everyday carry and belt loop with two of Blackhawk's extenders for when I shoot competition.
 #955  by mustangdave

I started OCing inside my house, then I moved to the front yard. My first real time OCing was over to a friends house in Bear, was so nervous that day.

It's prbably just firecrackers, but I think I just heard gunshots (2) in my neighborhood just as I typed this.