Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #1638  by cappilot06

I was going to post and ask the same question. What is the consensus around whether I should reference the responses we have already received from Councilman Tackett and County Attorney Wilson in the letter I am writing to Councilman Reda?
 #1640  by cappilot06

My eyes must have been completely glazed over here at work yesterday when I was looking for what district I fall into. Where I saw District 1, I have NO idea. I'm in District 8, so the letter will be going to Councilman John Cartier, not Reda. Sorry for the confusion.
 #1641  by dave_in_delaware

But there will be a "Lot" of people in our park that do not understand why you are allowed there.
WTF? I don't think the sheeple know anything about this illegal ordinance. Heck, even 99% of the NCC Police seem to think (or even know) it's OK for us to OC in the County Parks....

This whole "parents may be alarmed and children upset" crap really gets under my skin. It's a bunch of BS. I've been in 3 county parks this year (twice w/ my kids at the playground) and NO ONE that I was OCing around seemed to be worried at the least, and no one called the cops.

:sparring:
 #1642  by cappilot06

If they are really concerned about parents and kids not knowing the rules, I don't mind going over to the parks and handing out flyers so that EVERYONE is aware. Then there is nothing for them to be upset

Of course there is probably a permit I would need in order to hand out those flyers, so that wouldn't work either. :?

Here's another idea: Actually post on the park signs that it is OK to carry a firearm if you're within the guidelines of the law....I know, I know... I'm delusional. Probably not a good idea anyway, but then the NCC cops would know. We could just tell them to read the sign. :lol:
 #1644  by dave_in_delaware

What needs to happen is that illegal ordinance needs to be updated/changed. The police go on what's "on the books," but even the "books" are admittedly full of contradicting laws.

And who knows how long it'll take the politicians to actually re-write the code. They're already worried about how the public will react to a gun-related law seemingly being changed. So I doubt this will move quickly....
 #1646  by cappilot06

Don't these guys get the fact they we are only asking to be able to OPENLY carry in the parks...hell wherever we want to go for that matter. They don't understand that the felon in the park is certainly not going to show you he is carrying, but if that makes them feel safer just "not-knowing" then we might as well give up. They won't even consider that a thug that sees a law-abiding citizen carrying a handgun may think twice before trying to mug somebody. But we are always the ones who are made out to look like felons.

It's like an ostrich sticking its' head in the sand. If we don't see a gun, it can't hurt us. :toilet:
 #1676  by stephpd

It baffles me with all the statement about open carry being frowned upon. And that you'll scare the citizens. If there is one thing I've learned from you guys that do carry openly is that people don't freak out. At most they see the gun and behave themselves.

When you here that it's your right but don't do it seems backwards to me. Sure it's legal but we don't like it. WTF?

As far as getting councilmen to stick their neck out for an illegal ordinance I just don't see it happening. Political suicide. Sure it's illegal but they don't want to stand up in front of people and say that guns are allowed around children. There are so many squeamish folks that just hearing that they would start crying and demanding that we protect the children by removing all guns. Stupid to just let the criminals have guns around the kids and nobody there to protect them from the crazies but that's the way people think. Sheep!

The only way I can think of striking that ordinance is to do it quietly. Done deal in a back room and blend it in during a voting session with it being referred to only by the ordinance number and no open debate or discussion.

But I think most politicians will avoid it totally and let one of us get arrested then have the law thrown out in court.

Just my $.02
 #1694  by dave_in_delaware

Well, the sh!tstorm has begun. Here's what I sent back to the Sgt:
Dear Mr. *****,

With all due respect to you and your department, it's now even more apparent that it is necessary for some education to take place. Your response to my complaint is not what I had expected at all. In fact, it's the total opposite.

I was not arrested on Saturday because I was not violating any legal County ordinances by carrying a firearm in the park. The New Castle County Park ordinance that prohibits the carry of weapons in County Parks (§ 24.01.014) is in direct violation of State law § 330 (c), which limits the County's authority to prohibit the possession of firearms. You may not be aware, but lead county attorney Gregg Wilson, Councilman the Honorable David L. Tackett, his Legislative Aide Susanne Hussey, and Chief of Staff Nicole Majeski ALL are aware of this illegal ordinance, and have stated that this is un-enforcable and would not prosecute anyone for "violating" this section of the ordinance. They are in the process of getting this code changed, although it will take some time (this is why I had their email stating this with me).

And, I have to disagree with you: the public is not alarmed and upset when they can see a man who is not a uniformed Police Officer carrying a firearm.

Last Saturday at the Meet the Cops Day in Carousel Park, I started off taking pictures of two horses in the distance up by the parking area. One family had gotten out of their vehicle to walk down to the festivities. They did not even hesitate to walk past me. I then went down the hill to look at the RV. There were plenty of women and children there, looking at it with me, and taking pamphlets. I was even inside the RV speaking with a Foot Patrol Officer. He already knew about the illegal Park ordinance and recognized the names on the email printout I had with me. He told me that the special units know about the lawfulness of OC and that carry in County parks is legal. The K-9 Officer didn't seem to be phased by my carrying a weapon, either, as he answered my questions on the dog breeds used for training. Even the Mounted Police (before their Lieutenant expressed his opposition) weren't phased by my carrying inside the park. One Officer thought the statutes and ordinances directly stated that open carry was legal. So, I'd have to conclude that the only person (parent, child, or Officer) who was alarmed or upset that I was carrying a firearm was the Lieutenant who told me to disarm or leave.

I believe there is no difference whether I'm a civilian who chooses to carry a firearm or I'm a uniformed Police Officer. And despite the Lieutenant's beliefs, we're BOTH authorized to carry a weapon. This right is granted to me by the Delaware State Constitution. I don't need to be a member of any organized law enforcement group to open carry a handgun.

I thank you very much for your time and your interest in my complaint. Violations of Civil Rights should be taken seriously.

Respectfully,

David *****
I think it was thought out and professional, but we'll see what happens. You would think that after all the name-dropping I've done and mentioning that this illegal ordinance is being changed, that things would smooth out some. But, I'm anticipating a nasty response for some reason. :roll:

I think I'll start carrying the lead County Attorney's phone number WITH me, especially when going to a County park....
 #1696  by bms429

Nice letter and I think you were quite respectful and made some valid points. I hope you are wrong about your expected response, though I also would expect the same thing.
 #1735  by LordJim

Well done! Can't wait to see what comes in response.

-
Jim