Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #1485  by bms429

Does anyone know if we are obligated by law to notify a homeowner that we are carry concealed on their property or is it more of a dont ask dont tell. I ask because i was reading on another forum and someone from SC said that they must ask owner of private home if you can carry in their house. I was wondering if Delaware has something like this.

Thanks!
 #1489  by LordJim

It seems as though asking or informing might be the polite thing to do, but I'm not sure that it would be a legal requirement. A home is private property, so if you're asked to leave you must do so, but I can't imagine that asking permission is the law, especially if carrying concealed.

-
Jim
 #1494  by stephpd

I tend to agree. I haven't seem any law that requires you to inform any individual. That's why we carry concealed. Don't show, don't tell. If they find out and ask you to leave or get the gun off their property you should do one or the other.

Me, I'd leave. They can't guarantee my safety.
Some would put the gun in the car .
Your choice.

Likewise we have no duty to tell LEO's when pulled over for a traffic violation. But if they ask you to get out of the car things change. You are real close to being arrested. Inform police of CCDW and that you are carrying. And how would they like to proceed.
:pointlaugh: No sense in being tossed around unnecessarily.
 #1497  by Wynder

There are generally no laws that regulate what a person can or can't do in their own home. So, there would be no law stating that you have to inform someone of your carry status... It's private property.

As has already been mentioned, it's a courtesy, but don't ask don't tell can also apply if you feel the need. Because it is their property, if you wish to respect their wishes, I'd still recommend a gun safe for the car -- one with a good cable lock that you can attach to the frame of the car underneath the seat, if possible.
 #1651  by dave_in_delaware

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

There's no law that states you have to notify the police, so a homeowner (private property) is even "less" of a notification issue.

I'd go in concealed (if I could). If the property owner finds out somehow that you are carrying (it's concealed - how'd they know??), then you could always just simply leave if they freak out. I personally wouldn't ask ahead of time, because you may not like their answer. Just go about business as usual (i.e. carry concealed). The less they know (is probably) the better.
 #1672  by Sprat

At packing.org
it had always been considered or accepted that one does not carry in someone else home, when I travel and stop to visit friends I don't carry in their home. since all my friends own I assume they are in control of their environment. I can't think of a time I have carried in someone else's home, personally I think its rude and its their castle
just my opinion

sprat
 #1673  by dave_in_delaware

So you should be unarmed and vulnerable just because you're at someone else's house?

:? :?: :? :?:

Are they going to guarantee YOUR safety?
 #1677  by stephpd

Like sprat, most all my friends know I have a CCDW. Most also assume correctly that I carry concealed most of the time. If they ask I just tell them that I have a CCDW. I don't talk about it and I never brandish the gun.
Ever.

If one of them asks me to remove the gun from their presence I'd say OK and goodbye. Either you trust me or you don't.
 #1684  by bms429

thank you guys for the input. your input shows the wide range of opinion on a subject and I like all of the points presented. Thank you again.