Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #2242  by dave_in_delaware

Sorry for the last minute announcement, but I just learned about this show myself.

From what I've read, this is a big (700 tables) show, and they'll probably have everything/anything you're looking for.

http://valleyforgegunshow.com/index.html

Friday 6/20, 4 to 8 PM Buyer's Preview and Sale (open to the public), $15
Saturday 6/21, 9 AM to 5 PM General Admission, $9
Sunday 6/22, 9 AM to 4 PM General Admission, $9

3 Day Admission Passes Available $25
(children under 12, admitted free with parent)
Persons between the ages of 12 and 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

FREE PARKING, FREE APPRAISALS,
CASH PAID FOR YOUR UNWANTED GUNS, MILITARY ITEMS, & ACCESSORIES

Rifles • Shotguns • Handguns • Antique Firearms • Custom Rifles • Military Surplus • Hunting & Fishing Knives • Books on related topics • Gun Parts • Accessories and much more!

FYI: no loaded guns are permitted to enter show.

Anyone interested in going?

I'm probably not going, becuase I have the kids this weekend. Their attention span is about 10-15 minutes, and I'd want to be there at least 4 hours!
 #2266  by LordJim

I am going.

I went last week, too, but was just a bit early. :)

-
Jim
 #2301  by Sprat

I am suppose to go, its not that great of a show, lots of JUNK and homeboys from Philly with their girlfriends doing straw buys. if you reload the T & T reloading booth is the place to get your reloading supplies, there are a few guys selling generic magazines they are also junk only buy factory mags. if I do go I will be there selling my original No.5 jungle carbine. but this show is better than walking into a gunshop. get there early as in 9am the best buys will be online outside before they open the doors. there is a AR-15 guy inside he has some nice stuff, plus he smiths right there at the show

if I don't drink to much at the pub tonight I should be there

sprat
 #2344  by dave_in_delaware

So, did anyone go to this show? What did you think? Did you buy anything?

Come on, write a "range" report! :D
 #2346  by Sprat

I didn't make it I was to hung over, big beer night friday was.

this can be a good show I have attended it on and off for years, originally it was at the Ft Washington convention center then they moved it about 5 years ago. sometime's they have lots of junk, thats why I prefer the Forks of the delaware a collectors club ( no modern handguns) the Harrisburg show is great, so is the one in Timomium, MD.

sprat
 #2347  by dave_in_delaware

Sprat wrote:this can be a good show I have attended it on and off for years...
Wow. That's not what I gathered from your previous post... :?

I've only been to the show at the Philly NG Armory (which, to me, is an awesome show!). I think I'll stick w/ that one unless something better comes along....
 #2348  by Sprat

Dave

yes my post about the show was my opinion, sorry if it turned people off. I used to be a big gunshow attendee, but they have changed over the years. many years ago 10-15yrs ago I did them almost every weekend with a buddy from Vermont to Va, but they have changed since the politician's started with the gunshow loophole bullsh*t. The BATF walk around with camera's and video tape folks and transactions. one day at a meeting I will explain the old days

the Valley forge/Ft Washington show has gotten worst. the prices are high and the home boys turn me off. I attended that Philly armoury show many years ago, I don't recall the set up

sprat
 #2349  by dave_in_delaware

Sprat wrote:I attended that Philly armoury show many years ago, I don't recall the set up
For a memory-recall:
http://newsite.appalachianpromotions.co ... x?tabid=59
 #2354  by LordJim

the Valley forge/Ft Washington show has gotten worst. the prices are high and the home boys turn me off. I attended that Philly armoury show many years ago, I don't recall the set up
This was my first time at the VFGS, though I did attend with a few very knowledgeable guys who have been going to this particular show - and the Ft. Washington show - for years.

My impressions:
- Didn't see any 18" buck knives and other ridiculous county fair trinkets like Rob and I saw at the Delaware show a few weeks back.
- Did see a lot of ARs and various parts and pieces
- Did see some full autos and the HEFTY prices that they command.
- Did see a lot of pistols, rifles, optics (though nothing truly spectacular), etc . . .
- Prices were generally no better than your average dealer, of course there were a few exceptions.

- I did not see the 'home boy' crowd, though we did attend on a Sunday and didn't start until 12:30 or 1. It's quite possible that that element had done all of their business on Saturday.

Their impressions:
- Summer show is always slower than the fall, winter, and spring shows.
- There were a few dealers who were conspicuously absent from this particular show
- This show seems to have slowed down over the years.

My purchases:
- A book on tactical pistol shooting
- 2 packages of delicious beef jerky

I would have LOVED to have picked up the Springfield Champion at one dealer for $679.00, but being an out of state resident combined with his refusal to ship to a Delaware FFL made that one a no-go. It's a shame, too, that particular piece was either brand spankin' new or hadn't seen more than a few hundred rounds. That thing was tight and I wanted it.

Finally: Will I attend the fall show? Probably. I don't think it's fair to judge on just one visit.

-
Jim
 #2358  by Sprat

Jim

if you bought jerky than there were dealers other than gun dealers and/or related stuff. rubber band guns, hot sauce, cheesy knives, etc. and my all-time favorite the plastic guns with red tips. these items are banned from most collector shows

comparing the small delaware show the VF show is not good comparision.

Saturday first thing in the morning 9am is the time to attend shows, all the good private purcahses were done by then, most of the ammo deals were gone. sunday well is sunday slow.
For the pass 5 years plus this show has been plagued with home boys buying guns through their girlfriends ( straw purchases) this has been a major complaint of most regular show go'ers. if you didn't see what can I say.
I am sure dennis todd was there with his class 3 weapons and most of the over priced dealers were there also no experienced buyer or collector buys from them
I myself still attend usually to sell my extra's, but that show has gone down the tubes so if you think it was good, you certainly would have loved the old days. even the Delaware show at the temple on Rt 13 used to be good, I was shocked when I when there last fall

the York show is coming up thats a show, Harrisburg is a show, Timmonium is coming up thats a show. what you saw sunday is a shadow of its former self.

sprat