Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #3343  by Wynder

Okie -- all of the stories, links and stuff we talked about during the evening session. :)

For others who want to join in, I'll be taking classes soon to get my NRA Instructor Certification to teach Basic Pistol and, with it, the authority to teach the Delaware CCDW course. I've started putting together my presentation, and I'm looking for stories, anecdotes, and especially videos that make an example of the abuse of the four rules of handgun safety, as well as ballistic tests, someone being shot with different caliber rounds (preferably wearing body armor) and the physical effect/after-effect of a shooting.

Please deposit them here. :)
 #3348  by DSF Training

Wynder wrote:Okie -- all of the stories, links and stuff we talked about during the evening session. :)

For others who want to join in, I'll be taking classes soon to get my NRA Instructor Certification to teach Basic Pistol and, with it, the authority to teach the Delaware CCDW course. I've started putting together my presentation, and I'm looking for stories, anecdotes, and especially videos that make an example of the abuse of the four rules of handgun safety, as well as ballistic tests, someone being shot with different caliber rounds (preferably wearing body armor) and the physical effect/after-effect of a shooting.

Please deposit them here. :)
1st- Where are you taking the NRA coures?
2nd-I think I know what your getting at but explain???(One shouldn't teach more then what is required by the state to get a CCDW!
 #3349  by Wynder

1. I'm taking it from an NRA training counselor up here in New Castle County.

2. I have no clue where you got the idea that I was only going to be teaching what Delaware law require. I thought that stating how I'd be looking for videos, stories and anecdotes regarding ballistics, misuses of basic firearms safety and the effects of actually being shot might have indicated that.

However, to make it crystal clear -- I will be teaching the NRA basic pistol course with added content that covers §1441, as well as information that I've also found useful.

I have 52 slides created so far and I feel as though I've barely even scratched the surface of the course. Meh, this is going to take a while, hehehe.
 #3350  by cappilot06

Hey Rob,
Will try to fanagle the slide presentation from Andy tomorrow, but I'm guessing it will be a no go. I do, however, have the slide presentation print-outs that I can give you that have the first frame of each video. I'm guessing you could then find them online also.

I can always drop them off to your house sometime after I get off work this week since I'm pretty close. Let me know.
 #3352  by DSF Training

Wynder wrote:
However, to make it crystal clear :poed: -- I will be teaching the NRA basic pistol course with added content that covers §1441, as well as information that I've also found useful.
When you add content to an NRA course it’s no longer a NRA course! And does not qualify for nra certificate. You will be informed this when you take the instructors training. In the nra it’s called a “gun” or “firearm” not a “weapon” only in PPIH and PPOH can you call it a weapon.
 #3353  by radnor

I think he would like to get the NRA cert but NOT teach a NRA course. He is interested in teaching Del CCDW but wanted the NRA cert to show the state he is qualified to teach handgun class.

I'm in the SAME boat. I want it for the same reason PLUS so I can shoot handgun with Venture scouts.
 #3354  by cappilot06

DSF Training wrote:
When you add content to an NRA course it’s no longer a NRA course! And does not qualify for nra certificate. You will be informed this when you take the instructors training. In the nra it’s called a “gun” or “firearm” not a “weapon” only in PPIH and PPOH can you call it a weapon.
I know that Andy's class at Target Master is his OWN presentation. That being said he is NRA certified which allows him to issue the certificate for those of us in DE who need the CCDW. Andy does not use an NRA certified presentation and he tells you that right off the bat because he has added to it. If adding to the presentation nullified the DE CCDW, none of us who have taken Andy's course would receive the CCDW. I believe Rob is just trying to do the same thing Andy is doing, but just make the presentation his own while still covering all the state criteria
Last edited by cappilot06 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #3355  by Wynder

radnor wrote:I think he would like to get the NRA cert but NOT teach a NRA course. He is interested in teaching Del CCDW but wanted the NRA cert to show the state he is qualified to teach handgun class.

I'm in the SAME boat. I want it for the same reason PLUS so I can shoot handgun with Venture scouts.
Well, I'd want to have as many options as possible, the more I can do, the more flexible I can be. I think that there's one set person who does the courses at DelTech, so this would be for my own purposes.
 #3356  by Wynder

DSF Training wrote:
Wynder wrote:
However, to make it crystal clear :poed: -- I will be teaching the NRA basic pistol course with added content that covers §1441, as well as information that I've also found useful.
Really?

I find it kind of odd that, if you include all of the NRA content, they wouldn't allow for a certificate to be issued...
 #3360  by Wynder

cappilot06 wrote:If adding to the presentation nullified the DE CCDW, none of us who have taken Andy's course would receive the CCDW.
Well, technically, you can teach someone JUST the items required by Delaware Law and be done in, like... maybe three hours.

I want to give the person a full experience -- at least the 10 hours that the course is supposed to run, plus additional content and training on for the requirements, as well as information about possession and carrying in PA, NJ and MD since those states are about 20 minutes away in many parts of NCC.

This is what was done for me and I greatly enjoyed it. It's sad to know that they wouldn't get the NRA Certification, because I think their self-paced Pistol Practical program is a great way to continue their shooting education, though I still plan on pushing that after the fact.