Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #65393  by adrianspeeder

While I may be avionics by trade full time, I can do a little bit of flyin' crew chief jobs on the side. Some of my more favorite shots I've taken while haulin' ass around the world.

Trip 001 Spring 2011 Afghanistan

001/002 - Kickin' back for a day in ole Ramstein on 2011-04-08 on my first ride as an FCC.

003 - Haulin' a big ole forklift unit on 2011-04-08 on my first ride as an FCC.

005 - Cruzin' at FL 320.

006 - Cruzin' at FL 320 as night falls.

007 - Mother Russialand!

008 - No flight suit yet...

009 - 1000 below FL 270.

010 - Who's flyin' this bird? Oh right, all four Flight Control Computers hummin'.
011 – Hero shot.

012 – HUD

013 - Cruzin' smooth.

014/15 - Afghanistan has quite a few high hostile snowy very cold mountains.

016/17 - Yeeeehaw, ring 'er out a little bit of angle and dangle.

018/19/20/21 - Afghanistan has quite a few high hostile snowy very cold mountains.

022/23/24 - See anything down there? Just reach out and touch 'em.

025 – How we roll.

026 - Doin' it fer 'Murica.

027 - The gates of hell ain't far from Kandahar.

028 - A dollar ride story that I will forever remember. We had left Kandahar, gone to our next FOB, and as we were engine starting to leave, the call comes in to head back to Kandahar for a no-notice medivac. A soldier was not an hour or so before hit by a sniper above his armor, in his throat, through his spine, and out the back. Well, myself and the loadmasters had the cargo reconfiged, onboard medivac equipment setup, and ready for the pickup in under 30mins. It didn't look good with all the breathing equipment, and was given a 50/50 on surviving the flight. Amazingly while coming out of anesthesia, the soldier was able to lift his arms and wiggle toes. I packed it full of fuel while the AC got the waiver for weight, and flight plan to push those motors to the redline, and we went as fast as she would go into Germany. The absolutely smoothest landing fell into place where you couldn't tell approach from touchdown and full stop, and he was sped away still holding on.

029 - This better be the smoothest landing ya can swing in...

030 - They told us all his chances were greatly increased being still alive on the ground back in Germany. We all made it happen, and all had a drink for him. Whoever that soldier is, hope you are still doing well. Never knew his name, or how his story turned out, but I like to think our piece of the puzzle all came together and made a mission happen.

On to a happier part of being in Germany...

Last edited by adrianspeeder on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #65396  by dave_in_delaware

Thank you so VERY MUCH for sharing those photos and stories. The mountains are beautiful. And that wounded soldier story/photo brought a tear to my eye.

That Dubai thing is made from dredged material. They're doing a few "island creation" projects around there. Huge real estate market. I deal with dredged material at work, so I've been keeping an eye on al those manmade landforms. Interesting stuff.
 #65494  by Dr. Eastwood

Great photos and an excellent story, thank you! :applause:

dave_in_delaware wrote:Thank you so VERY MUCH for sharing those photos and stories. The mountains are beautiful. And that wounded soldier story/photo brought a tear to my eye.

That Dubai thing is made from dredged material. They're doing a few "island creation" projects around there. Huge real estate market. I deal with dredged material at work, so I've been keeping an eye on al those manmade landforms. Interesting stuff.
I've heard that they're not developing that island quick enough and it's being washed away.
 #65502  by Lascivious1

Dr. Eastwood wrote:Great photos and an excellent story, thank you! :applause:

dave_in_delaware wrote:Thank you so VERY MUCH for sharing those photos and stories. The mountains are beautiful. And that wounded soldier story/photo brought a tear to my eye.

I've heard that they're not developing that island quick enough and it's being washed away.
I watched a show couple years ago. think it was the Science channel. they showed how they were building the island. they would bring in tons of sands and use some kinda vibrating machine "which was HUGE!" to amke the sand settle and compact. i was actually thinking no matter hwot hey did it it wold still wash away with the currents.
 #65514  by dave_in_delaware

They would probably still have to use some sort of armor stone around the perimeter to protect the sand from the water's effects. I have no idea what they're doing about that.
 #66476  by adrianspeeder

Trip 002 Summer 2011, Illinois

031/32 – My first solo FCC ride to Moline Illinois.

033 - Back when flaps and slats had to be run through after every engine start.

034 - Flap fault, EFCS reset, ops chk good.

035/36 – Twilight cruse to the next stop.

037 - Climbin' hard out of Virginia.

038 - Sunset over Delaware.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.