Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #111127  by adrianspeeder

Phoenix International. This looks like it’s gonna be a shit show.

The resemblance to Iraq was tripping me out. Scanning for surface to air threats???

Had a few days off on this one, so rented a car and headed north for some sightseeing. I’ve never seen a real cactus, so I made that my goal.

Reminded me of a Wile E Coyote cartoon backdrop, and was quite pretty in person.

Cactus! Not quite what I was imagining, but I’ll take it.

Wandering through the desert looking for more cool stuff.

#111129  by Kuntryboy816

I believe you're looking for a saguaro cactus.. Sonoran desert, usaully below 3,500' in elevation. Good luck with the hunt! 8-)
 #111135  by adrianspeeder

Yeah, that was it. Ended up seeing one at a bar.

This was a random path that we had found without researching the trip. Turns out to end up at Devil’s Bridge Trail in Sedona. Glad we did, because it delivered some beautiful views.

#111136  by adrianspeeder

Handed the camera off to some other hikers to get a shot of the crew together. Not like she was gonna be able to run away quickly with it, so I wasn’t too worried.

And she selfie bombed me. Didn’t know until editing these shots.

They then handed off their cameras to get a group shot for themselves. “Wait! Is my camel toe showing?” Umm…

Hiked back to the car, and picked up our studying copilot that needed to get some homework done.

#111158  by adrianspeeder

Kickass hotel.

Loading up, and time to head for the east coast.

Fill 'er up!

Always the inspiring TRUPS arrival. Points WEEDU, SUPRT, OOURR, TRUPS, LETZZ, RLLLL, VCTRY, HEROO.

Made it back to Maryland from Phoenix. Dover was closed for an airshow, so we were stuck until the runways reopened to head home.

Well what to do? My weakness is piano bars. I’ll spend top dollar to hear songs I like if they are good. One of our crew members was on his fini flight before moving, but I had a hankering suspicion we wouldn’t be done with this trip. All the TV’s are showing Hurricane Harvey headed for bear towards Texas. “Hey boys, I don’t think we will be going home in a few days when Dover reopens. They got a fully crewed and good to go airplane just sitting. I bet we go to Texas.”

Phone call next day, “Can you boys start bringing help into Texas? We’ll bring you around the storm and come up from the south.” “Reach 434 ready to ride!”

Well that is a big bitch of a storm named Harvey!

#111159  by adrianspeeder

Low level Hurricane Harvey flooding in Texas.

Corpus Christy Texas

First load of Hurricane support done, and heading for Austin to spend the first night.

Aluminum overcast at the rodeo today ole son!

Short final at Austin–Bergstrom International Airport.

Jeebus! Hope they don’t need a 727 to help out on this hurricane job. That thing is toast.

Next day, next load, headin’ back to Corpus Christy.

#111166  by adrianspeeder

We expected to take another load into Corpus Christy, but the call comes down for us to move a load into Lake Charles, Louisiana. “Sure we could try, but isn’t Hurricane Harvey still there?” “Yeah, but you guys can make it by going down into the Gulf and come back up on a north west heading between two rain bands.” “Ohhh." Well, just gonna send it!

See ya!

Comin’ into Louisiana. Heavy flooding.

Staying high to avoid weather, the controllers were wondering if we could make the approach. “Get ready for a show ole son, we can get down with a quickness.” Also could triple that rate if needed by throwing out the anchors.

Lake Charles area flooding.

Rain gear required.

Back for one more night in Austin Texas, and saw this cool retro paint job. Sorry for the potato phone quality photo.

#111173  by adrianspeeder

Austin drinkin’.

Free beer for helpin’ out the best way we can by heavy weight haulin’.

Next day one more trip to Corpus Christy to pick up DV assets for a ride back to Washington DC. The little FBO was shocked when I wanted 12k gallons of fuel. “It holds that much!?!” “A full tank is over 36k gallons. 12k is just a little splash. Roll them trucks!” “We only have one.” “Damn it.”

Had to get a ride into the terminal to sign for the fuel. “We’ll send for a shuttle bus.” “Naww, I ain’t no fancy business man, I’ll ride the baggage cart tug.”

Back to DC in time to see the bossman taking off. I won't be going out on that trip, because the next stop is home. We won’t be there for long. Weather channel showing another big ass storm around the corner.

Adrianspeeder
 #111176  by adrianspeeder

Two different weeks, two different hurricanes, one same job of heavyweight humanitarian helping. Blackout poor weather landing conditions? We’ll use Night Vision to find you in the dark. No jet fuel to spare for search and rescue helicopter use? We’ll bring 30,000 gallons of our own, and give you half of it. People in trouble right now? We’ll roll you 75,000 pounds of aid out the back in 15 minutes. $220 million dollar jet break down right before take-off time? We’ll just fix the best damn airplane ever designed, built, and operated to deliver the mission critical airlift you need. For all the problems in the military, and we are far from perfect, no other organization in the world can move whatever wherever whenever. I’m so happy to be part of this puzzle, so let’s roll down to the aftermath of Hurricane Irma the day after.

Watch number 235 etched with my baby 07-7173.

Drop the hammer on 160,000 lbs of thrust!

Where we are going, we don't need roads.

Pope