Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #111736  by Owen

Welcome to deloc!

Congrats on your "escape from NJ" :D
 #111803  by ringmasterdan

How's it going folks. Been planning on buying my first handgun for a while now and was curious on the open carry laws. One shop owner I talked to claimed that OC was Prohibited in a few towns in the state and when I asked which towns he claimed most of the beach towns and I might as well just get my concealed carry permit. though the shop also offered concealed carry training so I'm not sure if he was just trying to sell me on his service.
 #111804  by astro_wanabe

ringmasterdan wrote:How's it going folks. Been planning on buying my first handgun for a while now and was curious on the open carry laws. One shop owner I talked to claimed that OC was Prohibited in a few towns in the state and when I asked which towns he claimed most of the beach towns and I might as well just get my concealed carry permit. though the shop also offered concealed carry training so I'm not sure if he was just trying to sell me on his service.
Welcome to the forum! While there certainly are some who intentionally spread misinformation out of a dislike for OC or due to profit, there are also a lot of people who are simply misinformed themselves. At this point the only city-specific ordinances for OC I'm personally aware of are the prohibitions on carrying in certain cities' municipal buildings / meeting rooms. Dover used to require a letter from the police chief but that was repealed a while ago. Wilmington has a prohibition on "armor piercing" ammo but it's extremely poorly written and actually just bans ammo with certain external coatings, which don't actually make the ammo armor piercing in the first place. In general you really shouldn't have any problems. The Delaware Firearms Law pdf in the FAQ page (link at the top of the site) is a great place to start.

Having your CCDW is certainly a good idea simply for the convenience and protection of not worrying if a jacket accidentally covers your handgun. But, it is expensive and not 100% guaranteed to be granted.
 #111807  by Amy Blackthorn

Astro hit all the points I was going to make. One shop in particular is known for spreading that falsehood and it is bald faced at that. All township based bans were found to be unconstitutional and stricken from the laws. You can open carry throughout the state. The pamphlet you can download answers a lot of individual questions as well.

Welcome aboard!

https://amyblackthorn.com
 #111808  by Owen

Welcome to deloc ringmasterdan!

I've open carried in Rehobeth all over the place, beach included. No problems. I also open carry in state parks now that that rule was thrown out by the DE courts.
 #111809  by wayne15464

I never did introduce myself, so I'll do that now.

I'm 54 and have held a DE CCW since 1996, and before that, a PA CCW from 1985 until moving to DE.

I will admit that I have never opened carry (other then when hunting) publicly.

I figured this was the appropriate forum to join, to see what I am "missing".

Thanks for having me!
 #112083  by Flanker_27

Hello everyone!

I was born and raised in Delaware and am now coming back here, 20 years after finishing college, as I will soon start working from home, which will allow me to take care of my parents; they are now old, and will soon need help. Right now, I'm in Russia where I work as a translator, but I'll be back home in September.
As a kid, I always saw my father open carrying and often went to the range with him, and that's a family tradition I'd like to keep going. However, I'm not that familiar with the laws regarding that... When it comes to my gun of choice, I still have the Hi-Power I got for my 21st birthday waiting for me, but I was thinking of getting something else, probably a revolver... or a Makarov.