Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #103551  by That_Guy

Honestly, I haven't had much range time. I've been to ommelanden once and shot a few of my buddies guns. Other then that it was just out in the woods on a friends property. I'm definitely looking to get more range time and I know I have a lot of learning to do. I've got a Keltec P3AT .380, so anyone who is willing to do some teaching or just want to get some range time, feel free to shoot me a message. I'm in the Newark area, but willing to do some traveling.
 #103555  by whatevah

well, the P3AT isn't a great range gun... it's more of a close range defense gun. But, range time is still important to learn how it works and how to control it. If you can drive a little bit, Elk Neck State Forest in North East, MD has outdoor ranges. $10 for the day, 100yd rifle and 25/50yd pistol. The only catch is that you need to bring your own target stand.

Do you ever have weekdays free? I try to avoid the public ranges on weekends. But, if we can work something out, I'll meet you at Elk Neck and show you some basics.
 #103558  by That_Guy

Yea I've only shot a handful of rounds through it, so some more range time wouldn't hurt. Weekdays are usually a no go for me, I work mon-fri 0700-1630. A few hours after work during the summer probably wouldn't hurt. I can understand that, I've heard they can be pretty hectic.
 #103565  by Kuntryboy816

I work almost the same schedule but I'm off work by 15:00. If you want to get in some range time now (as opposed to waiting for warmer weather), we can always hit up Targetmaster since it's an indoor range. Ommelanden or Elk Neck is do-able on the weekends for me but as Whatevah stated that's when a lot of people tend to utilize the range. Send me a PM or text (302-seven five zero-0338) when you'd like to go. My wife needs to break in her new pistol as well, so we'll be looking to hit the range at some point in the near future.
 #103569  by whatevah

I work every other weekend... this is my weekend off, but I've got family plans. My next weekend off is Feb 7/8. I've got range officer duty on the 7th, but could go on the 8th if you like. I don't like TargetMaster for teaching since it's way too noisy and rushed... an hour rental goes fast when you're teaching or using multiple guns. I'd start you off with a magazine through your Keltec then switch to a .22 pistol for basic gunhandling, then up to a 9mm for a more enjoyable full caliber gun before going back to the Keltec to practice any new techniques we covered.
 #103576  by pick_six

you guys got me thinking. i don't know what it was, when i was living in delaware. all that time, the only real range i ever used in delaware was omenlanden. maybe it was from the mid-90's on.

just over the line up in PA, near kennet square, there was a small range too, forget the name. had a lake in front. iirc, it went out of business around 2000 +/- a few years. maybe i am wrong.

i heard of, and drove by, target master, but never stopped. and the place down south of the reedy point bridge. but again, never was in or knew exactly where it was.

heard of a place near seaford too, but never was there.

beyond that, it was always the marsh, next to 95, past blue rock stadium/shipyard shops. or the lime pits down that way too. yeah! shooting there, it was that long ago. or cousins house/hill near middletown. or the beach south of milford. but nothing organized. shooting at any of these places today would get you arrested in less then a heartbeat.

just thinking about the old days and places to shoot, or not. not may options these days, and with all the PC stuff, cant just shoot anywhere.
 #103586  by whatevah

pick_six wrote:just over the line up in PA, near kennet square, there was a small range too, forget the name. had a lake in front. iirc, it went out of business around 2000 +/- a few years. maybe i am wrong.
That might be the SCCSFA. it's still running, I joined it last year. Southern Chester County Sportmans and Farmers Association. The place in Seaford is the Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club, cool place... even a long distance range.
 #103588  by Kuntryboy816

Making plans with a guy from work to hit Elk Neck this Sunday around 1ish. We're not quite definite yet but it's looking pretty good.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to join if they'd like to. PM me, text me or just come on down.
 #103604  by whatevah

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Making plans with a guy from work to hit Elk Neck this Sunday around 1ish. We're not quite definite yet but it's looking pretty good.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to join if they'd like to. PM me, text me or just come on down.
Be careful on the hill driving in... it'll be tricky with the snow forecasted for Saturday. I'd say 4x4 vehicles only. Give me a call if you have issues and need my winch. I've got plans, but can head down to give a helping tug. ;)
 #103605  by Kuntryboy816

That sounds like a bad way of saying, "Call me and tell me your stuck so I have an excuse to come down and shoot." :troll: