Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #103799  by whatevah

Took a friend up to the range on Friday to burn some powder and throw copper and lead at some paper targets... was able to introduce him to the joy that is 1911 and show him some more friendly guns than a Glock 27.

We started off on the 7yd pistol range to have a little fun, then moved to the 25yd range to sight in a red dot on his AR (and was able to explain co-witnessing). After that we bumped up to the 100yd range to play with my new Savage .308.

I had originally wanted to try out the 168gr A-Max loads from Freedom Munitions but UPS delayed delivery by an extra day. So, that forced me to buy the Hornday loads from Cabelas... also picked up a couple boxes of cheap PPU. The PPU was for my friends to try (was supposed to be 2 friends, but one backed out) and the good stuff was for me to play with. :)

The shooting table was covered with carpet and I couldn't get the bipod to bite... was trying the technique of leaning in to put tension on it, vs pulling the shoulder back into my shoulder. At any rate, I was getting groups around an inch when I was doing stuff the right way. I really want to get the groups down under .75", reliably... But, I need to figure out how to brace the gun well enough without using a sled. Keep in mind that this is a plastic stock with a thin barrel, so my work is cut out for me. I did notice that with the PPU ammo, the group opened up to around 4". Switched back to Hornady and the group shrunk down to 1". Crazy...

When I got home that evening, I found the ammo delivery waiting for me. :) So, I took a box with me to Elk Neck yesterday. I had RO duty, but figured I'd put a few rounds downrange if it got slow. It finally slowed down around 4pm so I set up and shot a few more Hornady rounds before switching to the Freedom Munitions loads. Similar groups, but the FM stuff landed about an inch higher. Not entirely sure why, the specs say the FM loads are 60fps slower but I don't have a chrono (yet) to verify. Maybe I can borrow or buy one soon.

My goal is to join the Bridgeville club and eventually shoot on the 600yd range. I'm guessing I'll have to start reloading to do that, though.
 #104193  by VWpilot

whatevah wrote: My goal is to join the Bridgeville club and eventually shoot on the 600yd range. I'm guessing I'll have to start reloading to do that, though.
I have shot my .308 using Hornady 178g Match factory ammo from 600 @ Bridgeville with no problems. I've used Hornady 168g Match @ 100-400, and PPU @ 100-300. All with good results. IMO, you don't "need" to reload to shoot distance, even out to 800, 900 & 1000. Many competition shooters do, but that is the norm for them, to be competitive. I know several very capable shooters who do very well with factory ammo at 600 & beyond. Good luck. Stay safe ~ Rob.
 #104222  by whatevah

I was at Cabelas today drooling over scopes again... :) But, sadly my plans have changed and I've got a camping trailer project consuming my disposable income (and a little more).
 #104237  by myopicvisionary

Reloading lets you tailor ammunition to your rifle. And do it cheaper so you can practice more!