Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #104908  by whatevah

yup, there are a lot of 2x4 stands, some guys will have one ready to go in the back of a pickup, but some will need a little assembly with a cordless drill. Most have some sort of an H shaped base with either 1x4 or 2x4 risers coming up to staple on the targets. The cooler ones have pockets in the base for the risers to just slip in without needing to screw or nail them in place.
 #104909  by 2xTony

I made my base out of pvc pipe and left the top open so i can jam 1x2 wood beams into the sides for uprights. Just so i can change them easily if they het shot up and they wont be white plastic all over the place. Fits easily in my trunk too
 #104917  by whatevah

2xTony wrote:Hey do you guys have any rules down there for AR15 pistols? Im not sure if i can even bring one of those into maryland.
AR pistols are fine, but they are only allowed on the pistol range. It's a lot of noise for the pistol shooters, but it's for ensuring that the rounds hit the berm and hit the baffles or leave the range completely. Remember that a pistol is fired with just your hands for support, if you're using a stock to shoot from the shoulder (Sigbrace?) then it's a rifle and needs to be on the rifle range. As for transport, legally it's the same as bringing in any other gun into the state. You're fine as long as it's for going to the range. MD actually has better gun laws than DE when it comes to stuff like that, AR pistols are fine, full-auto is fine, suppressors are fine, along with short-barrel rifles.
 #104924  by 2xTony

Ok cool thanks. I actually have a really short ar pistol i hold out in front of me like any other handgun and shoot. It is a noise maker for sure though
 #104925  by Owen

What about a cheek weld on the buffer tube of an AR pistol?
 #104941  by whatevah

whatevah wrote:I'll try to get it set up in the daylight in the next few days for a photo. But, in the mean time, here's my process.

It's four 3-way pieces with 10ft of 1.25" inner diameter tube.

- Cut two 4" lengths, stick one into the end of a 3-way and use what's sticking out to connect with the middle section of another 3-way.
- Cut a 14" section and stick that into the end of first 3-way (opposite of the 4" piece).
- Cut another 4" section and use the other 3-ways to mirror the other side.
- Cut two 12" sections and stick them in the open ports of the inner 3-ways. these will serve as the supports for your 1" wooden stakes
- Cut the remaining tube into 4 equal lengths and stick them into the open ports of the outer 3-ways. these will be the legs. I leave mine open and slide 1" steel pipe inside them for weight, but you could maybe plug them and put in some sand.

I'd suggest using PVC glue on the 3-ways where they connect with the 4" and 12" sections to make a solid base. Glue it while it's all assembled so the alignment is correct. The ends don't have to be perfect, I used a hack-saw on mine and sanded off the burrs. Consider using some fine-grit sandpaper on the ends of the non-glues pieced so they assemble and disassemble easier. Mine stick occasionally and need a little force to seperate.

I tried to keep it as compact as possible to fit inside the back of my Wrangler... but, a side benefit of the short vertical sections is that they won't get hit very easily. PVC tends to explode when it's hit, so keeping them short and using wood stakes is a great trick. I see a lot of all-PVC stands at the range and I don't remember many that were intact at the end of the day.
Here you go...
 #105027  by FNshooter

The stand I made is very similar......except I capped off the bottom tubes and filled them with sand. It added just enough weight to make it stable on a breezy day but not so much that its still pretty easy to carry.

On another note....How about shooting steel case 7.62x39 at Elk Neck? Id like to put some heat in my new Yugo AK.

Thanks
Rich