Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #104822  by DuramaxLLY7

We all know shooting in general no matter the firearm is a perishable skill and that practice makes perfect and keeps skills strong. I am looking to find out if there are any outdoor or indoor / open or private ranges in DE or surrounding states that are tactically friendly. Looking to find a range where I can practice, train and keep up with my tactic training such as transition drills, firing maneuvers and movement firing.
 #104823  by pick_six

I was wondering how much shooting most folks do, and what type of shooting, a short while ago myself.

Until recently, i've been more the 3-4x--Year type, as far as rifle/pistol work. working at a range bench, loading mags, taking a nice stance, firing several shots, rinse and repeat. i guess that's better then nothing, but not where i was feeling i needed to be if things got hairy.

about 2 months ago i hooked up with a local group, doing informal practice sessions, for a few hours once a month. an improvement over what i had been doing.

been doing pistol from holster, rifle this saturday too, standing, malfunction practice, ready and target, up to and including multi rounds/target. most of the folks there have done sessions with commercial training groups, but all are just basic civilian gun guys looking to at least get some practice in. basically 50-100 rounds per platform.

along the lines of the op's observation, what are you folks doing on a regular basis? (op, i am a little far for ya to join, but i guess i am a little far from delaware, but interested in your topic... and helsinki is a little from from anywhere stateside.)
Last edited by pick_six on Thu May 07, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #104824  by astro_wanabe

Honestly, between the cost of ammo / range time and my schedule I haven't been getting out much. I do occasionally shoot at Action Pistol nights at Delaware State Pistol Club (every Monday and 2nd and 4th Wednesdays, starts at 6pm, get there early your first time). They go through scenarios that will have you drawing, shooting from different positions and around obstacles, multiple targets, etc. Last I checked it was $3 for members of the club and $5 for non-members.
 #104831  by Owen

+1 to what Astro said.
Delaware State Pistol Club. http://dspclub.org/public/

I shoot once a week there at Action Pistol. Mostly pistol but we do "carbine" also The carbine has to be pistol caliber or less than 1500fps. 300 Blackout is what I shoot or 22LR. Some guys have pistol caliber carbines and a few M1 carbines too.
 #104882  by Owen

Also I have one of those orange guns that is an exact copy made from a hard plastic. Got is off Optics Planet for ~$30

I use it for lots of training as well. Good for drawing or retention drills. Only down side is it is not soft so disarming people holding it could be dangerous to their trigger finger.
 #104887  by myopicvisionary

I compete regularly and reload my ammunition to afford shooting so much.
 #104893  by Owen

myopicvisionary wrote:I compete regularly and reload my ammunition to afford shooting so much.
+1 to this. I reload as well and for me it's not so much to save money as to allow me to shoot more for the same cost. Plus I can purchase supplies in bulk when they are on sale and then have some control of the expense if ammo prices go up.

Of course now instead of complaining about ammo costs I have my gripes about the price/scarcity of powder, primers, or bullets. :lol:
 #104894  by nphocus

Hi, This is Bobby. I met a few of you guys last night at Action Pistol nights at Delaware State Pistol Club. I am the big guy with the dreadlocs and 10mm.

I like to shoot at least every couple of weeks for at least a few hours at a time. Between the cost of time, fuel, and ammo, I don't see the point in short range trips. I also think that the more time you can get with your tools the better you will be able to use them. A few weeks ago I went up to Elk Neck state park in MD and shot for about 8 hours... That was awesome. I think there were maybe 3 other guys there the entire day and everyone was polite and respectable.
 #104895  by DuramaxLLY7

So from reading yalls posts this action pistol place soudns like a good time. They allow transitions of firing from holsters and all just what im looking for. Cant wait tog et back state side and head out there and get some range time in. Hope to meet some of you all out there sometime to.