Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #73509  by myopicvisionary

Today was the last match of the 2012 season for the Delaware Law Enforcement Marksmanship Association. The year has been hard fought with my final tally lagging behind last year's. As usual, I fired three relays today. My first was a disappointing 457-25X. I rushed my way through the relay and the score shows that. My second run was better, but of no help for my season average. I turned in a score of 460-21X with my difficulties centering around my personal range demon.... the weak hand portion of the barricade stage. My second shot out of six rounds with my weak hand went wide and barely scored on the edge of the "7" ring. Thank goodness for big fat bullets since a 9mm would never have cut the line! Had it scored a "9", my final score would have helped my average.

Two down, one to go. First call for the final relay for the match and the year was announced. I checked my pistol and my eight loaded magazines. Forty-eight rounds to fire for record, forty-eight chances to screw up! Last call was sounded and I stepped onto the firing line. Upon command of the RO, I loaded magazine #1, chambered the first round, put the safety on and holstered my sidearm. The whistle sounded and I drew my pistol. Six rounds thundered into the target as I held my pistol in just my strong hand as required for this string of fire. I got my shots off in seven seconds out of the eight allotted. All "X"s! We moved back to the seven yard line for the second half of stage "A". Two magazines of six rounds free style in twenty seconds. Loaded and ready, we stood on the line. Again the whistle sounded and my pistol was up on target. After firing my first six, I ejected the now empty magazine #2 and loaded #3, getting back on target quickly. I saw that there was a "10" at 12 o'clock. I rushed the first two shots and two "10"s could be seen. Slowing down slightly, the last four disappeared into the center of the "X" ring. A 180-15X for the stage!

Stage "A"

Once the targets were scored and repaired we moved back to the fifteen yard line. The first half of stage "B" would be as we just fired. Twelve rounds with a reload in twenty seconds, just farther back. At this range I adjusted my point of aim with the top of my front sight blade now at the bottom of the "X" ring. Up until now I kept my front sight blade centered on the "X". When we completed this portion, I could see that my shots were clustered in the center with nothing outside of the repair center. Next up; my nemesis, the second half of Stage "B"... the twenty-five yard barricade. Three magazines of six rounds at twenty-five yards in ninety seconds. Six rounds kneeling, right side of the barricade. Six rounds standing, left side of the barricade, Six rounds standing, right side of the barricade. Two hands can be used to hold the firearm; but during the left hand portion, the pistol must be in the left hand and the trigger manipulated by the left hand. This is where my troubles flourish.

For the last time this year, we are asked if we are ready. We all nodded as one, staring down range. The whistle blared and I dropped straight to my knees, drawing my .45 on the way down. The front sight settled on the bottom of the "10" ring as the knuckles of my support hand pressed against the wooden barricade. I started firing at rate of two seconds per shot. The slide locked back on the empty magazine and I ejected it as I rose to my feet. Reloaded, I transferred my pistol to my left hand. The knuckles on my right hand found a solid rest against the barricade as I tried to align the sights on the target. Taking my time and maintaining full extension of my arms, I began squeezing the trigger. The sear tripped after about five seconds. It felt good and I paused a moment to scan the target. No way to know exactly where it hit but I could tell it was not outside of the repair center. Good enough for me. This continued on for the next five shots with the slide locking back on empty. As I reloaded, I could see that most of the other competitiors were already firing from the right side of the barricade. I had taken as much time as I dared focusing on my weak hand rounds. The reloaded pistol was now back in my right hand and felt solidly locked on target. As I sent the first round down range, I could tell my neighbor was finished as he was holstering his gun. I sent the next two rounds then stole a glance at the RO to my right. He was bringing the whistle up and I sent the last two rounds home less than a second apart. The slide had barely locked open when I heard the whistle go off. Everyone was done and watching me. The RO checked that my pistol was empty and cleared the firing line. Now for that long twenty-five yard walk wondering what the results are. As I neared my target, I could see that all my shots were in the repair center. In fact, there was nothing outside of the "9" ring! Sixteen "9"s and the rest were "10"s and "X"s! A 284-2X for stage "B" with a total of 464-17X for the relay. This score did in fact help my season average. I went from a high average of 461 to a 462.33. This raised my percentage from 96.04% to 96.32%. Not as high as last year but almosted guaranteed to be in the top ten!

Stage "B"

#79175  by myopicvisionary

Here is the 2013 season schedule for the Delaware Law Enforcement Marksmanship Association.
Open to police and civilians alike. Yes, beginners are welcome. We shoot the NRA stock auto/revolver course of fire. Forty-eight rounds on a B-27 target from 3 to 25 yards.
All magazines are loaded with 6rds.
String #1: 6rds from the holster standing strong hand only in 8 seconds at 3yds.
String #2: 12rds from the holster with 2 hands standing in 20 seconds at 7yds.
String #3: 12rds from the holster with 2 hands standing in 20 seconds at 15yds.
String #4: 18rds from the holster with 2 hands in 90 seconds at 25yds. First 6rds are kneeling right side barricade. Second 6rds are standing left hand barricade. Last 6rds are standing right hand barricade.

The yearly dues are $25.00 which pays for the award banquet at the end of the year. I think the yearly dues are discounted for new shooters. First match relay is $15.00, any subsequent relays for the day are $10.00. We alternate monthly between the Seaford, De and Sudlersville, MD ranges. For any questions, contact Gene Esham @ 302-381-7711.

Sunday, 14 APR Sudlersville, MD
Saturday, 11 MAY Seaford, DE
Saturday, 08 JUN Seaford, DE
Sunday, 14 JUL Sudlersville, MD
Saturday, 10 AUG Seaford, DE
Sunday, 15 SEP Sudlersville, MD
Saturday, 12 OCT Seaford, DE
 #83093  by myopicvisionary

March 27th, 2013

Practice for the DELMA matches. Shooting my Kimber Custom II and breaking in what has been dubbed the "Belfast Gun".

I brought along my barricade so I can practice the left hand behind cover stage which is my Achille's Heel.

The best string for the afternoon. 58-1X out of a possible 60-6X.
 #84233  by myopicvisionary

April 14th, 2013

Today was the season opening PPC match at Sudlersville. The weather was great and I felt ready. My first relay had no problems and was completed with a 456-15X. My second run was a bit better at 459-20X. Feeling good, I went into the third relay. Stage "A" was good and the first half of stage "B" was doing good as well. The last half of stage "B" was not. Yes, the weak hand side barricade again caused me grief. The last shot went WAY wide! Going down to score, we found a bullet hole about two inches to the left of the "7" ring. Value? ZERO! Had that round scored at least a seven, I would have gotten at a 460. But as it was I was rewarded with a dismal 453-19X. My season average therefore starts at 456.00 points @ 95.00%. But I did receive a bit of good news. My 462.33 points at 96.32% netted me fifth place for 2012!

Below are Stages A & B from the second relay.

Stage "A"

Stage "B"
 #86736  by myopicvisionary

June 8th, 2013

Today's match was in Seaford. It was hot, muggy and a rainstorm was heading our way. As usual, I fired in three relays. The first went OK, if a little under par for me. 455-16X was about seven or eight points down from where I should be. The second fared a little better, garnering a 456-11X. Going into the third I felt good. But yet again, that damned weak hand barricade proved to be my undoing. I walked away with a 449-19X. On the bright side, the 456-11X actually did help my average... slightly. My season average so far is now 457.00 points @ 95.200%. I still have a way to go to exceed last year's 462.33 points @ 96.320%

One of my relays for the day...
Stage "A"

Stage "B"
 #88374  by myopicvisionary

July 14th, 2013

Today's match was a real turning point. As usual, I fired three relays with the first one being a throw away. A 429-16X.... really? My lowest score to date. Relay two was much better with a 462-19X. This was back in my normal range! Going into the third relay, I was feeling really good.

Stage A: An almost perfect score of 180-16X! Thank heavens for fat .45ACP bullets which made that shot at 5 o'clock a "10"!

Stage B: Except for a couple of "8"s at 3 o'clock (which were from the weak hand side of the 25yd barricade) all "9"s or better! Combined with Stage A, my final score was a 467-23X! My season average moves up to 462.66 @ 96.33%. Now my season average is higher than my total average from last year!
Last edited by myopicvisionary on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #88382  by cj45lc

Thanks for the update, that really looks like a great time & you are getting some great results
 #89452  by myopicvisionary

August 10th, 2013

This month’s match was in Seaford, DE. Firing three relays as usual, I turned in scores of 448-20X, 460-17X and 461-15X. The 461-15X did help my average by eliminating a previous score of 459-20X. My season’s average creeps upward to 463.33 points @ 96.53%. There are only two more matches remaining in the season. The following is the 461-15X relay.

Stage “A”

Stage "B"
 #90881  by myopicvisionary

September 15th, 2013

Next to the last match of the 2013 season was in Sudlersville, MD. I had a mixed outing today in posting scores of 451-17X, 456-21X and 463-21X. The 463-21X was a plus as it did help push up my average for the year. My season’s average again creeps upward to 464.00 points @ 96.66%. This leaves only one more match to fire remaining in the season. Here is the 463-21X relay.

Stage “A”

Stage "B"
 #91744  by myopicvisionary

October 12th, 2013

The last match of the season...

I went with a good feeling about it but for some reason, I could not get my act together. The day’s competition did nothing to help my season average. But, any day on the range is a good one so I am not complaining. Below is the results of the better relay I fired. Going is was great, I cleaned Stage “A”. But Stage “B” was another story. Pick up gun, drop brain.

Stage “A”

Stage "B"