Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #90  by Wynder

If anyone is interested in trying their hand at shooting competition, the next one is coming up in April. Now, before you balk at the idea, keep this in mind:
  • They're very newbie friendly and encouraging.
  • There are divisions for all level shooters.
  • If you like, you can do a "walk-through" where, instead of taking the course of fire at full speed, it's an untimed, slow paced walk-through.
  • It's fairly cheap and it's a fun way to spend a few hours.
WHAT'S REQUIRED: Almost any pistol that hasn't been internally modified can be used in the "Production Class". Bring 150-200 rounds of ammunition. Holster. At least three magazines and a good belt with magazine holders.

WHERE: Southern Chester County Sportsmen's and Farmer's Association (http://www.sccsfa.org/)

WHEN: Course Setup: 8am (optional) New Shooter Safety Check/Registration: 10am Match Start: 11am.

COST: $20 if you're a USPSA member. $25 if you're not a USPSA member. $40 1yr USPSA membership and you shoot for free.

Match includes five courses of fire and usually takes about 3-4 hours. All in all, it's pretty fun -- your first time through, they usually put you in the "Setup Squad" which are all of their Division A/Master/Grandmaster shooters and the guys are really nice about offering advice and making suggestions.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. :)
 #105  by dave_in_delaware

I've had some interest in doing this sort of thing, but with my "skill" level (OK, total lack thereof), I feel that it would be a waste of time and money. I'd have to do a "crawl-through" and super slow speed just to be sure I hit the paper at all. :oops:

Man, not having money/time to practice a lot stinks!!! :cry:

Maybe in 10 years I'll be worthy of such an event.
 #118  by Wynder

dave_in_delaware wrote:I've had some interest in doing this sort of thing, but with my "skill" level (OK, total lack thereof), I feel that it would be a waste of time and money. I'd have to do a "crawl-through" and super slow speed just to be sure I hit the paper at all. :oops:

Man, not having money/time to practice a lot stinks!!! :cry:

Maybe in 10 years I'll be worthy of such an event.
At the very least, it's a nice way to spend an afternoon -- even if just to watch. You can listen in and pick up some tips from the masters. I don't consider myself anywhere near a 'good' shooter. Sure, I'm decent at 21', but it's still interesting to do.

I'm just hoping to get some other folks involved and maybe carpool up, have a decent time and learn something new. Here's one of the more 'interesting' courses of fire from the one I did in November:
 #123  by Giustiniani

I'm definately game. I'll put some more time in before then down at Bridgeville on both my G19 and my 1911 and decide that week what Ill be shooting. Let me know as we get closer if you are going to be going yourself and if you would like to carpool and the like.

Also, any range trips you'll be making, as I will surely join you.

Gwee