Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #36997  by Boots

Congratulations! :applause: :applause: :applause:

8-)
 #39587  by myopicvisionary

Yesterday was the M1 Garand match at Kimberton Fish & Game Association. Scorewise, not a good day at all. The first five sighter rounds were grouped right around the center of the black. For the next ten rounds of prone slowfire, I did not use my spotting scope to check each hit. After all, the sighters showed that I was right on target. Wrong! When the slowfire stage was complete, we went downrange to score. As I saw through my scope, the sighter target on the left had five bullet holes orbiting the "X" ring! The slowfire target on the right had six shots in the black and four stringing vertically down to the bottom of the target. I could not believe that I was pulling those last shots so badly. After scoring, we got ready for the rapidfire stage. Ten rounds for record in eighty seconds. I loaded the first two rounds in the rifle and stood waiting. The command to commence firing was given. I dropped to the prone and squeezed off both shots. Quickly I glaced through the spotting scope and saw two bullet holes; one on top of the other, down in the "6" ring! I reloaded with a full clip of eight rounds and fired those remaining rounds with about five seconds to spare. Another look through the scope showed all ten bullet holes clustered at the bottom of the target. Something was really wrong. Standing up, I got ready for the last stage, slowfire standing offhand. Ten rounds in ten minutes. When cleared to fire, my first shot let off smoothly with the target absolutely still in my sights. Looking through the scope, I could see a bullet hole in the bottom of the "6" ring! Something must be wrong with the rifle. Bringing it back up to my shoulder I noticed that I had to lower my head more than normal to see through the rear sight aperature. The aperature was bottomed out in the sight base! Cranking the elevation knob would not raise it as the set screw had backed out of the knob. Obviously, with the set screw loosened, the recoil of the rifle cause the rear sight aperature to walk down. I fished a dime out of my pocket and tightened the set screw. Turning the elevation knob forward, I verified that the sight was bottomed out. Then I turned the knob back raising the sight thirteen clicks. Then next shot scored a ten! All eight of the remaining rounds scored in the black! While the match total was a dismal 197-0X out of a possible 300-30X, I was happy with myself in that I had diagnosed the problem and fired the remaining rounds, scoring well. I will disassemble the rear sight before the next match and replace any worn parts. I will be ready for next time.
 #39592  by Mr.Skellington

Good job with the field Dx. You'll get it back next match.
 #39593  by Jack44

I had this same problem with my M-1 sight. I would tighten the screw on the elevation knob while holding back on the slotted nut on the windage side. I disassembled the sight and did not find any excessively worn parts. Tightened it again and had the same results.

I finally just used one screwdriver and let the sight run to the top and was able to get another ½ turn on the screw. This puts pressure on the rack gear so I was afraid to go as tight as I would have liked, but it has held up for ~ 400 rounds. I check it from time to time and it has remained tight.
 #39640  by myopicvisionary

That was my line of thinking as well. Somewhere in my parts stash is an earlier style lock bar sight assembly.
 #40358  by myopicvisionary

November 14th, 2010

What a good day! After working on the rear sight problem and practicing the slowfire standing stage, my efforts paid off. The first stage; the slowfire prone was my best of any stage in any match this year. Out of a possible 100-10X, I scored a 93-2X! The second stage; the rapidfire prone was the weak point in the match. Shot number five went wide and I called it. I rushed the trigger break and put that round just a hair outside the "5" ring. My score for the stage was 81-1X. With the exception of last month's match; where I had a rear sight malfunction, this was my lowest rapidfire score yet. The last stage is always my biggest problem, slowfire standing offhand. There was one shot that I knew I pulled wide. That was round number 7, just inside the "5" ring. The stage total score was a 79-0X. While not impressive on the firing line, I was happy with it as it was the second highest standing score I posted this year. So I finished the day with a 253-3X, my second highest so far!!
 #40361  by jslacker

:applause: CONGRATS!

I have never fired an M1, but when I went to Seaford Senior High we had a lot of de-commisioned M1's we would drill with, both armed regulation and armed exhibition (you know, throwing and twirling the rifles and what not). We had about 20 or 30 of them and we actually had the exhibitions team rifles' dressed up quite nicely with chrome parts and nicely polished wood.
 #40374  by Boots

myopicvisionary wrote:November 14th, 2010

What a good day! ....
:applause:
 #40525  by myopicvisionary

Just got the match results in the mail. Out of 23 shooters, I came in 6th. Those two shanked rounds would have put me in 5th. But my slowfire prone with a 93-2X earned me 4th place for that stage! In the envelope with the match results was $3.00 cash.
 #40535  by George

myopicvisionary wrote:Just got the match results in the mail. Out of 23 shooters, I came in 6th. Those two shanked rounds would have put me in 5th. But my slowfire prone with a 93-2X earned me 4th place for that stage! In the envelope with the match results was $3.00 cash.
:pbjtime: :pbjtime: :pbjtime: YER IN THE MONEY! :pbjtime: :pbjtime: :pbjtime: