Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #51992  by GatorDude

A lot of the really inexpensive ammo tends to have steel core or partial steel cores. However, that's not always the case either way (more or less expensive).
 #52080  by bluedog46

and steel core can be considered "armor piercing" or is that not the case? I have heard several variations of this.
 #52082  by Guard_Duck

It's classified as an armor piercing round by the feds due to materials and design, not because of it's armor piercing abilities. Most steel core ammo is mild steel, too soft to be considered consistent or effective AP.

Most AP rounds are hardened steel and/or tungsten, much denser metals.
 #52090  by bluedog46

thanks, so i take it this wont go through agood bp vest then
 #52091  by jslacker

Planning on poking some holes in a bp vest Blue? :?
 #52101  by Jeepflexin

jslacker wrote:So Jeeps, whats the scoop on Elk Neck as far as targets/stands goes? Can you take an old card table and set up on top of that or does it need to be a framed out stand? EDIT: I know they don't allow anything to be placed on the ground, hence the 4 foot minimum.

Yeah framed out, roughly 4ft on center most card tables would be to low. Typically we (the RO's) tend to be flexible on the stands and we try to use good judgement on how you are shooting. Example would be I would be fine with a 1-2ft off the ground target if you are shooting 100 yards, no chance the bullet is gonna skip off the ground and make it out into the woods. You can poke spikes into the ground or build a freestanding target stand (that is what I do), you can not hang stuff from the baffles, this used to be allowed but a-holes screwed it up. You can make the stand out of any material but IMO wood makes the most sense, it can get tight down there and sometimes a less than accurate shooter will send a stray and hit someone else stand, PCV doesn't handle that very well and metal can allow a ricochet. You can only shoot targets, no water jugs or watermelons, no old cars etc.

I made my stand out of 1x1 wood for the base and 2 inch furring strips for the upright and the strips just drop into slots on the base. makes breaking it down easy. I staple cardboard to the strips and staple my target to the cardboard.

HTH
 #52108  by bluedog46

jslacker wrote:Planning on poking some holes in a bp vest Blue? :?
Not really, but in case of crap hitting the fan it would not be bad to buy a box or two f the stuff if it really did pierce ammor. I recall seeing something on youtube about people gluing bbs into a hallow point. Something tells me that wont work.

More of a curiosity.
 #52118  by astro_wanabe

bluedog46 wrote:Not really, but in case of crap hitting the fan it would not be bad to buy a box or two f the stuff if it really did pierce ammor.
"not really" means no, you're not planning to, right?
There are different types of bullet resistant armor. I would say the most common everyday-wear "soft" armor (somewhat flexible, like Kevlar) is around Type III or Type IIIA. The ratings indicate what types of rounds the armor can be expected to stop, and how many hits. Soft armor isn't really rated to stop anything higher than a handgun, so almost any rifle ammo will pass through whether it has a penetrator core or not. Type IV or "hard" armor plates (usually hard steel or ceramic, and HEAVY) are rated to stop certain types of rifle ammo. These types are usually only worn by combat soldiers and SWAT teams due to the weight and bulk.

So it all depends on what kind of armor you're talking about. If you needed to defeat tank armor you'd need a different round from just hard armor. Defeating hard armor requires a different round from soft armor. Soft armor would, of course, be defeated by the hard armor or tank rounds.
bluedog46 wrote:I recall seeing something on youtube about people gluing bbs into a hallow point. Something tells me that wont work.
I'm no ballistics expert, but I'd say you called that right.
 #54607  by jslacker

300 rounds today @ Omm out of the EDC G17. No hiccups since I have had the gun. Went with my brother and cousin in from California. Hot, but we had a blast literally!