Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #51786  by jslacker

tomorrow 1030ish, the guy with the beard
 #51967  by jslacker

Ok so I went to Ommenlanden on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 and shot 130 rounds thru my G17 EDC. The gun ran flawlessly as usual/expected. It was quite hot that day, so I wasn’t able to stay as long as I wanted, but you can’t always get what you want. I am considering checking out Elk Neck for my next trip as the RO’s at Omm are becoming increasingly gestapoish… I was talking with the guys in X-Ring and they say they all shoot there and sometimes there is not even an RO on duty during the week. They also said I would have to bring my own stand 4 feet from the ground… I can construct a cheapo frame, that’s no problem, but do they allow steel trees or water filled milk jugs or things of the such? No RO’s?
 #51973  by jslacker

GatorDude wrote:For shits and giggles...what did the RO at Ommelanden do this time?
I guess it would just be knit-picking more than anything as in regards to where the line is located and you should be standing BEHIND it and not ON TOP of it. And did not happen to me directly but my brother in law shot his AK the same day and if im not mistaken Omm has special ammo labeled at X-Ring for use on their range. The RO went into his shooting bag while he was down range to open his ammo to steel check it. This in and of itself is not an issue worth bringing up to the RO but enough of one to gripe on DELOC after the fact. 1) wouldn’t the RO know what the packaging would look like for their special ammo, and 2) the RO would have had to violate their own rules to go into the booth and get the ammo to check while my brother was down range….

Also my father in law is old school so you can tell him a million times the way to do something and he will ALWAYS revert to his old ways. Not really a lot of ground to stand on his issues that day but here they are…. RO informed him that upon entry the gun must be cased with action open, he had his holstered unloaded in his shooters bag, and then he stepped into the booth during cold to grab his shoot-n-c’s.
 #51975  by jslacker

So Jeeps, whats the scoop on Elk Neck as far as targets/stands goes? Can you take an old card table and set up on top of that or does it need to be a framed out stand? EDIT: I know they don't allow anything to be placed on the ground, hence the 4 foot minimum.
 #51976  by GatorDude

They don't have special ammo at Ommelanden. Rather, the rule is no steel core ammo. They magnet test the ammo, that's all.

Brands, brass, steel, nickel, etc. are irrelevant as long as it ain't steel core. They also have fps restrictions, I believe (in the indoor range).
 #51985  by bluedog46

GatorDude wrote:They don't have special ammo at Ommelanden. Rather, the rule is no steel core ammo. They magnet test the ammo, that's all.

Brands, brass, steel, nickel, etc. are irrelevant as long as it ain't steel core. They also have fps restrictions, I believe (in the indoor range).
Is the Wolf and Tula ammo that can often be found dirt cheap have a steel core? I thought they did not allow steel cases.
 #51990  by GatorDude

Some might be steel core. Some isn't. Some S&B actually has a steel core (and they don't tell you before you buy it either).

Steel cases are fine. They don't care about the stuff that doesn't go down the range. Steel core is not permitted.
 #51991  by astro_wanabe

bluedog46 wrote:
GatorDude wrote:They don't have special ammo at Ommelanden. Rather, the rule is no steel core ammo. They magnet test the ammo, that's all.

Is the Wolf and Tula ammo that can often be found dirt cheap have a steel core? I thought they did not allow steel cases.
For some reason I'm getting a sense of deja vu...

Steel casings don't matter. They may or may not put more wear on your firearm but that's on you. Steel core ammo (the actual bullet has a steel core) can cause damage to the range.

They just hold one of your rounds of ammo up to a magent (the round discs nailed about chest-high between some of the booths). Normal bullets only have lead & copper, which don't react very much to the magnet. If the bullet is attracted to the magnet then you probably have a steel core, and the RO won't let you use it. The cheap stuff sometimes isn't marked that it contains a steel core bullet.