Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #48000  by Jeepflexin

Dr. Eastwood wrote: I hope they're a very busy range, because it also means they're fools if they're turning down good money.
My understanding is the goal of BR&G is quality shooting for their exclusive members, it isn't treated as a business per say. This exclusivity is paid for by the membership and the membership would rather have high dues to cover the operating expenses verses low dues and lots of members. Though I am sure there are some bad eggs even at BR&G, the members I have met were all stand up people who value the exclusivity and quality that that BR&G offers.

Honestly I think the concept is brilliant.
 #48004  by Boots

Jeepflexin wrote:My understanding is the goal of BR&G is quality shooting for their exclusive members, it isn't treated as a business per say. This exclusivity is paid for by the membership and the membership would rather have high dues to cover the operating expenses verses low dues and lots of members. ....
That does tend to keep the riffraff out. :lol:
 #48023  by Tony T

knohope wrote:I was interested in trying to get a membership here, but based on the website and a comment made by another member (Strelok), there appears to be a waitng list. How does that work exactly? Are you waiting for another member to terminate their membership? There is mention of a "membership cap" on the website. It further mentions that the waiting list could take 4 years to fill. Does anyone have some insight on the situation? Tony, Strelok?

Brandywine Hundred Rod and Gun Club, 520 Throntown Rd., Middletown, DE 19709.
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol, Outdoor Rifle (50,100,200), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading, Skeet, Archery, Airgun
Range Access: Private
Web Site: http://www.bhrgc.com
Email: info@bhrgc.com

Thanks
Knohope,

Thanks for your interest in Brandywine Hundred. Nothing would please me more than Deloc members joining the club.

Allow me to address some of the questions posed in this thread. Our membership is capped ,unfortunately the waiting list will take approximately 4 years to resolve. For this reason our board of directors has decided to temporarily remove the membership app from our web site. I myself waited 16 months after submitting an application by mail before I heard from them. Since that time there has been an explosion of interest. I'm fairly certain that Strelok got an app in before they pulled it, I think one or two other Deloc members may have as well.

It's true that there are a few members who are stuck up, and one or two can be disagreeable in general. In my time as a member I can honestly say that from my perspective they are in the minority that you'll find in any group.

I cannot deny that some people feel as though the club is exclusive, and some would consider it expensive. While it's true that membership is capped, we do not turn down anyone from any walk of life unless we feel that they represent a safety or security risk.

The facility is located between the Reedy Point Bridge and Port Penn on Thorntown Road. It's located on the site of the first African American owned farm in Delaware. It's situated on roughly 220 acres if memory serves. I can tell you that there are more acres than members.

In the build up preceding the Obama campaign unprecedented numbers of American's became firearm owners for the first time and embarked upon the hobby. Hunting and shooting clubs were besieged with new applicants, naturally this included people of all mentalities and skill sets. Clubs were forced to choose between open membership and closed membership.

Open membership presents it's own problems. It's extremely difficult to know who your membership is once your levels grow beyond a certain point. Brandywine Hundred is unique in that it's rule book fits on a half sheet of paper. We are very cautious about bringing in safe and responsible shooters, people who we can trust with a key to the property and the club's well being. As a result we enjoy freedoms which other clubs in Delaware will never offer.

By contrast, many of the open clubs are beginning to regret it. Membership has grown so expansively that quality control is virtually impossible because it's virtually impossible to get to know everyone. The inevitable result is the proliferation of club rules and regulations, something we seek to avoid at all costs. There are other considerations, for example, some local clubs have resorted to adding video cameras to their properties. Not because of outside influences, but rather the questionable conduct of club members. All it takes is one asshole to get a club closed for good, one round over the berm. At BHRG there are no range officers, every individual is responsible for everyone's safety.

So yeah, maybe it's exclusive. Maybe it's a long wait. Maybe it's expensive. The dues are $250 a year, initiation is $500. Now I don't know about you, but I don't know where the hell else a common joe like me could get a key which grants 24/7/365 access to a 200+ acre farm for $250 a year. For me it is unquestionably the best $250 I spend every year and I leap at the chance. Hell, people spend thousands a year on guns and only shoot them in a concrete tunnel.

Fyi, there is some discussion about expanding our combat range facilities and slightly increasing the membership cap. I can't comment on that because I haven't had time to delve into it. To be honest, the club has all the treasury it needs and the majority of the members really don't care about increasing revenue, they just want to enjoy their freedom with as few restrictions and rules as possible.

Work has been absolutely ridiculous and I haven't had as much range time as I'd like. I'd be more than happy to take any Deloc members along as my guest, but you'll have to bear with me as I find the time and be ready to go at a few days notice.
 #48025  by Strelok

Is it four years now.....? :banghead:
At least I squeezed my application in.
 #48026  by Mr.Skellington

Jeepflexin wrote: My understanding is the goal of BR&G is quality shooting for their exclusive members, it isn't treated as a business per say. This exclusivity is paid for by the membership and the membership would rather have high dues to cover the operating expenses verses low dues and lots of members. Though I am sure there are some bad eggs even at BR&G, the members I have met were all stand up people who value the exclusivity and quality that that BR&G offers.

Honestly I think the concept is brilliant.
I too prefer a capped and closed membership range. If I wanted to wait in line to shoot alongside of every Tom, Dick and Harry who, for all I know, don't know which way the bullets go into the magazine I'd go to Ommelanden. I've been to public ranges enough times to appreciate the value of a closed range. No question about it I gladly pony up the cash.

Like at BR&G I pay the extra for quality shooting at another range. Each trip I take proves its worth and I have no regrets.
 #48038  by knohope

Thanks Tony. I appreciate your insight. I would like to get over to the range with you when your schedule permits (mine too for that matter). I like the idea of being able to shoot a lot of different things when I go to the range and making a whole day of it. It's tough to enjoy a range trip thoroughly when you have to watch the clock and I tend to feel a little cramped when shooting the lanes at the indoor ranges. Don't get me wrong, they're great for getting some rounds down range and staying fresh, but enjoying a day outside where I can bring several different items and casually change it up makes the experience far more pleasant.
 #48041  by Tony T

Strelok wrote:Is it four years now.....? :banghead:
At least I squeezed my application in.
And I'm happy that you did.

Afaik, 5 slots opened up this year. We had two member deaths, and three members dropped out. I've been intending to find out where you're located on the list, never got around to it yet. I'll get off me bum and inquire when I get home tonight.

Personally, I'm not opposed to adding another twenty members. Not in one shot, but over several months. I'm not alone, but there are members who would fight it tooth and nail.
 #48042  by Tony T

Boots wrote:Good post, Tony!

Thanks, Boots!

Ready to go shooting? :pbjtime: