Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #52306  by Jeepflexin

As some of you may know the Range safety program pioneered on the MDshooters board has pretty much died. the effort was a valiant one but had some fatal flaws that led to its demise. As one of the few left in the program I have been charged with trying to create a viable program going forward.

I am looking for volunteers that are either already RSO certified or are willing to take the necessary training to and would be willing to offer up roughly 4 days of volunteer time in a year as range safety officers.

I am also looking for people that consider themselves qualified to take a joint leadership position in the program. This position will require a higher time commitment than the safety offers position and should only be sought after by a very experienced shooter.

There are some perks to the position including RSV's shoot for free at the park, but more important than that is the ability to give back to the sport. Good range officers make any range safer so the job is very important and should only be pursued by those who know up front they can donate the time and are of a temperament that allows them to work with a wide variety of people and personalities.

I can not express how satisfying most of my volunteer time at ENSF has been, this is truly a unique opportunity to give something back to a great sport as well as shape good shooting habits for new shooters coming into the sport.

Anyone interested in helping please PM me so I can start getting the ball rolling.
 #52348  by Tony T

I really don't think the government should be in the business of providing people a place to shoot, it should be left up to the citizens who enjoy the sport and private industry. Maybe the NRA. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution which authorizes government to do so.

Hell, I'd be surprised if you haven't used some of your own income to join a private facility yet.
 #52355  by NormH3

Tony T wrote:I really don't think the government should be in the business of providing people a place to shoot, it should be left up to the citizens who enjoy the sport and private industry.
It's no different than all the golf courses at military bases.
 #52359  by Tony T

Shouldn't have them either. Golf balls are nowhere in the Constitution, national defense is. Why should the taxpayers fund recreational activities?

Shouldn't those people provide for their own recreation?
 #52361  by NormH3

Tony T wrote:Shouldn't have them either. Golf balls are nowhere in the Constitution, national defense is. Why should the taxpayers fund recreational activities?

maybe they should buy their own bullets
 #52362  by GatorDude

NormH3 wrote:
Tony T wrote:Shouldn't have them either. Golf balls are nowhere in the Constitution, national defense is. Why should the taxpayers fund recreational activities?

Bullets are necessary for defense. Golf balls ain't.
 #52365  by NormH3

GatorDude wrote:
NormH3 wrote:

Bullets are necessary for defense. Golf balls ain't.
Apparently you have never been hit by a golf ball :mrgreen:
 #52366  by Condition1

NormH3 wrote: Apparently you have never been hit by a golf ball :mrgreen:
:pointlaugh: :lol:

p.s. I have no problems using my tax money to provide recreation to the men and women serving this country, I do have a problem with my tax money being used on welfare for some recipients to buy drugs :mrgreen:
 #52368  by GatorDude

When you get the right of a line item veto for how each tax dollar you pay is used, please let me know.

Of course, the country will cease to function at that point.

Anyway, we will have to stick to the letter of the constitution and there is nothing in there about providing recreation. I've read it many times. The founding fathers were aware of recreation and even toys, yet no mention of the government being involved in such activities. Since they didn't mention it, it must not be permitted.

Discussion over.