Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #55595  by bluedog46

I finally got to shoot my ATI 1911 today. A couple of the guys were telling me I got a good price on it ( $375) and it was a really nice gun. One guy asked if he could shoot it. I told him sure right after I do ( he figurd I shot it before). I figured what the heck he let me shoot his Colt 45 auto.

I put about 75 rounds through it and had no issues. I did have a hard time getting used to the sights since they are quite different than the Glock sights I was used to looking at, but at 10 yards I keep a reasonably good pattern on a 6 inch target. I feel like atraitor to Glock, but I might just be getting more into 1911's. The only drawback is how expensive they are to feed and it seemed to spit the brass not almost more violent than other .45 acp I shot ( Glock springfield xd, Springfield, and Remington, Colt, SMith & Wesson and Kimber).

The ATI really seems to have a kiss A$$ feel to it. It feels more like shooting a .45 and really made me feel it.

Also put 50 rounds through the Glock 17. Somehow it seems to have no recoil after shooting the 1911. I put 10 rounds through the wife's Walther p22 and thought I was shooting a BB gun.

ATI seems to make a really good 1911.
 #56271  by bluedog46

Got my 1911 back from the shop ( bad factory ejector). Ran 150 rounds of regualr remington fmj through it. I did not have any problems except the 10 round mags ( pro-mag) seemed to not feed well. The 8 round versions were fine. The range officer let me put a 10 round mag through his colt and it fed fine. Not sure what is up with that. I had quite a few jams with hallow points ( remington white and green box). It does not seem to like them.

Can anyone recommend a hollow point round with a very small opening that might feed better?
 #56310  by bluedog46

Condition1 wrote:That sucks :cry:
True, but its sweet with fmj ammo. I will probably have to use an more expensive hollow point.
 #56317  by myopicvisionary

After-market mags can be finicky between guns. If I have to choose a 1911 magazine not made by the manufacturer of the gun in question, I would go with Wilson 47Ds or Checkmates as first choice. Chip McCormacks and Ed Browns are also very good. I have seen alot of Pro Mags cause fits.
 #56320  by bluedog46

Thanks I had heard ( after the fact) about pro-mag. Guess I am spoiled that the cheap import glock mags have worked great. The 8 round all feed fine. Guess I wont be using those 10 round mags. I was told to polish the feed ramp ( what little bit there is). I need to figure out how to do it as a smith wants like $60 to do it and I already have over $400 in the gun.

It was a present so I dont want to hurt my wife's feelings. I wanted a springfield or a rock island. Maybe a taurus.
 #56505  by Jeepflexin

Sounds like you are learning that in the world of 1911's you get what you pay for, hmmm where did I here that before? :o

In for a penny in for a pound, so you aught to just pay the $60.00 to get the ramp work done (BTW that sounds cheap). Because of what it is I doubt you will ever realize a level of reliability comfort that makes it a good choice to be a carry/self defense gun but getting the ramp squared away should make range trips less frustrating. As stated above by others 1911 mags can be finicky, the more expensive brands tend to hold up better but by design they can get a little out of shape and have feed issues too. Just one of the minor idiosyncrasies of Mr. Browning's timeless design. I'd also reiterate stated above that ideally use a magazine made by the manufacturer of your gun.

It may be helpful to understand the 1911 was not designed to feed hollow point rounds, it was designed to feed ball ammo. generally they can be made to feed hollow points but as you are finding out that costs money. BTW there is nothing wrong with ball ammo for self defense. I would much prefer a reliable gun that could only eat ball ammo than to be loaded with Black talons and not feed correctly.

HTH