Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #67997  by phlydude

So I get there @ 9:05 and pay my money...$2.50 for the 1/2 hour, won't sell you an hour or even 2 half hours...need to come back if I want more time because they only have half of it open. NAH

So I pay the man, head back to my truck and beat pretty much everyone that paid before me over to the rifle/pistol range.
Do the ammo checks and tell them what I plan on shooting....223/.22LR/9mm/.40 S&W

Get setup and start with the AR - immediately a range marshal comes over and yells at me because of my hi-cap magazines appearing to be full - I tell him it will only have 10 rds in it when I load it.
I secure my target and use their new zip track system...I heard 4 different times them bragging how it cost them $7k per lane...seems a bit pricey to me for galvanized track and a computer to control the distance up and back.

Shoot the AR for the 1st time since I bought it (yeah, I am a slacker - over 1yr now...) it shoots well (had one mis-feed but was cleared easily). However, my red dot is low and left @ 25yrds. I tried raising it but I was dickering around enough and I only had 1/2 hour to shoot. Will have to take it out another time when I can dedicate

So next up is the .40SW, my newest acquisition, the S&W M&P 40 full size. This thing is a dream to shoot! Excellent sight picture, clean, smooth trigger and accuracy to boot. 1st shot @ 7 yrds hits dead center on a 25 yrd pistol target. Subsequent shots were all in the 8 or better ring (center mass shots if we are keeping score). I realized that I need to make the grip a little smaller (from lg to med) because it was causing a little uncomfortableness with the grip...could very well have played with my accuracy. Bonus - the Winchester white box ammo I picked up @ Walmart last night had 2 extra rounds in the box laying on top of the tray - quickly put them to good use! :)

Once I shot about 3 dozen rounds through the .40, I was told I have 5 minutes left...what?

So I pull out my Ruger P95DC and load a mag up...10 shots and accuracy is not as good compared to the S&W M&P. The sight picture is small and the white dots need a touch-up.
I am actually considering selling this rig now - it has done its job for 16 yrs and functions perfectly and has seen 1500 rds if it was bragging about its past conquests...if you are looking for a good quality 9mm handgun (polymer frame, stainless slide and barrel) for fun or carry, this could be the weapon for you...I have a number in my head and I don't have to sell it but if the number comes up, I'd be willing to let it go to a good home.

Didn't get a chance to fire the 10/22 either...just not enough time and a line waiting for lanes to open.

Looking forward to seeing if my membership gets accepted to the SCCSFA on Tuesday. That will certainly allow me to shoot what I want, when the club is open for as long as time allows - and if I have to wait, there is a clubhouse to hang in and folks to converse with...

Ommelanden is nice for being a public range with great prices but it never seems to be as convenient as a club I belonged to in Philly (Holmesburg Fish and Game) with separate rifle and pistol stations.
 #68097  by myopicvisionary

Heading to Ommelanden as I hear both sides are now open and time restrictions are gone! We'll see if this new target retrieval system is worth a damn.
 #68098  by myopicvisionary

Well that was a great :censored: :censored: :censored: waste of my time and gasoline! As I walked into the office to pay for an hour of range time, a thought suddenly occurred to me. "How do I get my brass back?" I asked the cashier. "You don't, it stays on the range." I damned near blew my stack. "Reloadable 30-06 brass is worth around 50 cents a piece. M1 Garands eject their brass forward of the firing line. Do you expect me to leave $20.00 worth of brass for you to have?" They had no answer, but I did.... "Well, I guess that means Delaware will get no more of my money, good bye."
 #68100  by myopicvisionary

The one other place I have been to with target retrievers had an inclined plane in front of the firing line starting about fifteen yards out and three feet high and sloping back down to the floor at the firing line.
 #68104  by Mirlen

astro_wanabe wrote:How do you usually get your brass back at other ranges with target retrievers?
Image ?
 #68105  by astro_wanabe

myopicvisionary wrote:The one other place I have been to with target retrievers had an inclined plane in front of the firing line starting about fifteen yards out and three feet high and sloping back down to the floor at the firing line.
Can't say I've ever seen a range like that but sounds interesting. Of course, at a range like Ommelanden the ramp would need to be patched constantly... I've always invisioned people just using devices like Mirlen posted.

ETA: Maybe they could install mesh netting on a roller for a couple of lanes, so if you wanted to save your brass you could go to one of those lanes and roll the mesh down like blinds to whatever height you liked (to accomodate sitting/standing). Probably wouldn't catch everything but would probably bounce a decent amount back at you.
 #68108  by myopicvisionary

Nice brass catcher but I single load rounds for slow fire standing practice. Plus, if you were to use a brass catcher, weight piles up on one side of the rifle. And I am NOT going to buy something just so I can use their range.